CHAPTER 15

The next morning when I wake up, Ellie isn't up yet. I guess she's making up for her lack of sleep from the night before. Making the mandatory pancakes, I limp around the kitchen because of my injured foot, yawning endlessly and giving myself mini-slaps to stay awake. My focus this morning is below zero on the concentration bar and I intend to make that change. I am about to grab a glass from the cupboard and am about to slide the glass doors when I see it: my reflection.

No. Immediately, I grab my phone, thinking that the glass doors must be distorting my face somehow. But as I use my phone as a mirror, looking for relief and reassurance that I don't look as bad as it appears, I only get the confirmation that I indeed look that bad. My dark brown locks, unruly and untidy, are worse than a bird's nest and I know there is no need to try and pat them down the way I am doing right now because only a hairbrush can change it. My eyelids are so swollen that my eyes almost look closed, as if I'm only looking through thin slits. I keep frowning my nose and it looks like I'm smelling something bad. And of course, my lips are swollen beyond description.

Yeah, I look that bad.

"No way could a whole day in the shower change that."

My head lifts quickly at my best friend's voice as she enters the room. I would like to retort the same to her, but of course, there is no comparison. No, she doesn't look a great as she does once she's showered but damn, am I jealous of her for looking like freaking Goddess Athena next to me right now. No one looks good in the morning – except Lucy, I think it's because she's only nine – but I have to concede it: I don't think my morning ugliness is comparable to that of anyone in the whole galaxy.

"Shut up," I mutter and put the phone down. I wish mirrors lied sometimes.

I go take a glass and ignore my stupid reflection on the stupid glass doors. I sit at the counter and shove pancakes down in my mouth.

"Good morning," Ellie finally grumbles after a minute as she takes a seat before me, her plate and juice already in front of her.

"Morning," I say once I am less annoyed with her.

We eat in silence for a while, each of us too tired to really engage in conversation. My muscles are still aching a bit from having slept in an uncomfortable position in the car and my neck hurts a little. I almost face-plant on the counter and eat like a dog – no, seriously, I almost do – but I figure my neck will hurt even more so I stick with my fork. And anyways, I'm nearly done.

"I'm tired." Ellie grumbles as she forks the last of her pancakes.

"Stop whining. It's morning." I say with a roll of my eyes.

"Exactly," Ellie retorts, "I'm meant to be grumpy and whiny."

"Do you see me grumpy and whiny?" My glass of juice is now empty and so is my plate of pancakes. I get up and go to the sink. "Quiet down."

My hands are freed as the dirty glass and plate are put in the sink. I am turning around when something hits the base of my neck.

"Ouch!" I yelp and place a hand on my neck as I crane it around. I carefully massage the sensitive flesh. Casting down a glimpse, I notice the weapon on the floor at my feet: the left foot of a pair of fluffy slippers. It wouldn't have hurt if it had been the fluffy part that had hit me. Unfortunately for me, it's the sole of the slipper that hit my neck, and those soles are pretty sturdy. I wonder where Ellie buys them.

I tear my gaze away from the footwear and bring my eyes to my friend. "Ellie, you did that, didn't you?" I ask even though it's obvious she did.

"Might have," she frowns and glares at me, "you don't get to boss me around."