CHAPTER 26

It's eight in the morning and the scorching sun is already unforgivable. My gaze wanders to my left where Lucy is wading in the pool, trying fruitlessly to swim like fish. She is probably drinking a lot of water from the way she coughs nearly all the time. Taking a seat down on one of the chaises longues, I rest my breakfast on the table next to me and start eating: a plate of scrambled eggs with some waffles accompanied by a generous glass of milk.

As I eat, it all comes back to me, how wonderful it's always felt in Harlem during the summer. I would jump on Dad's back, have him run around the house with me while we screamed like Indians. Mom would always be absent or working, it was always like that. It's always been peaceful and relaxing to me, and I am glad to see it hasn't changed.

Lucy's high-pitched voice resonates around the backyard. I close my eyes as I hear the water slopping around her with her moves. I lay back on the chaise and breathe in the cool summer air. It's only a few minutes before I hear Lucy's joyous scream.

"Yann! You're coming to swim?"

My eyes fly open at his name, searching for him. He is crouching by the side of the pool, smiling down at my little sister. Russell is lying down on the grass a few feet away, watching his master. Quickly, Yann undresses, leaving only his swim trunks and he jumps in the pool. Lucy doesn't hesitate to jump on his back and he begins to swim with her in the pool.

I can't take my eyes off the two of them as Lucy makes weird sounds as Yann swims with her. It almost looks as if she's sitting on her own personal dolphin and he goes from one end of the pool to the other. The thought makes me smile and I watch as he warns Lucy to hold her breath and dives underwater with her, only to resurface a few seconds later. Lucy squeals happily, her hair plastered to her face. Yann has the occasional lift of his lips but nothing more whereas Lucy is all giddy, waving at me and smiling and I can't help but smile back.

"Tracy, I'm learning to swim!" She calls excitedly.

I cannot contain my joy at seeing her so cheerful and I let the smile widen over my face. "I can see. You're doing a good job," I encourage her with a thumbs-up which she returns happily.

Yann looks at me for a brief second before focusing back on Lucy. "Okay, now stretch out your arm." He's giving her instructions which she follows obediently. She must really love this sort of swimming course to show obedience to Yann. That's a first. Lucy is usually a little rebel.

"You've been swimming for long?" Lucy questions as she moves her arms in the crawl pattern Yann has taught her.

"Yes, a while now."

But Lucy isn't satisfied with the answer, "How long?" She presses.

"Almost twenty years. All my life." He answers, "With more force, your arm."

I can tell he's trying to distract her but Lucy is like a glue: once she's got you, she's not letting go. "Is swimming your job in life?"

"No, it's not." I think I detect a hint of annoyance in his voice but Lucy doesn't seem to. "Keep going, you're doing well."

Yann comes out of the pool, directs himself towards me and takes a seat in the chaise longue next to me. "She's talkative."

"You're quiet," I retort.

He swings his head to look at me. His wet hair is shimmering in the sunlight. "You're not."

"I am."

He keeps looking, not realizing his stare is disturbing. "French literature, huh?"

I am momentarily thrown off guard by the switch in topics but I answer after a moment. "I didn't peg you as the reading type." I think of him two days ago, quoting Corneille to me. I was really surprised to hear the words come out of his mouth.