Chapter 5: Jealousy

I shut the picture that opened to the Gryffindor common room and leaned against it. The smile that was the side-effect of kissing Cedric was still plastered beautifully on my face. It was the first night that we spent together that stopped at kissing. Sure, there was some over the clothing fondling but I'm only human. My back went against the back of the painting and I'll admit I squealed and may or may not have danced. A lot.

Someone cleared their throat and I stopped instantly. I looked up and was met with Harry's amused face. Blushing deeply, I cleaned up what was left of my dignity and strode over to the couch he was sitting on.

"Did you have a good night, Hermione?" His voice was sullen but I detected some amusement at my recent display.

I chewed my lip. "It was... decent." I needed to change the subject before I told Harry everything. "What are you doing up?"

He sighed. "Barty Crouch is dead."

"What? How?"

Not only hours ago did I leave Harry because Mr. Crouch wanted to speak with him. Who would harm that man?

"We were just walking, Hagrid, Ron, and I." He shook his head in disbelief. "Hagrid was reminiscing about us and I just looked down and there he was."

My hand reached out and I touched his arm. "Harry, did your scar hurt?" He nodded. "You think it's connected, don't you? Your name being in the Goblet of Fire and Mr. Crouch being killed."

"I don't think, Hermione, I know." He hung his head. "I went to go see Dumbledore afterward. Dumbledore wanted to cancel the Tournament but Minister Fudge wouldn't allow it. When they heard I was listening, they left me alone in Dumbledore's office and I got curious... as usual."

"What did you find, Harry?"

His hand went over mine on his arm. "Dumbledore has a... a pensive?" I nodded at the term. "The... memory was of a court trial of Igor Karkaroff. He used to be a Death Eater. Actually, I'm not sure you can stop being a Death Eater or that's what Sirius says. Anyway, he was offering names to lessen his term and gave out Mr. Crouch's son."

"I remember you telling me that Mr. Crouch threw his son in Azkaban."

Harry nodded remembering what Sirius told him. "Mr. Crouch's son was the unknown man in my dream at the beginning of term. The one I had before the World Cup."

My hands clasped over my mouth. "What did Dumbledore say?"

"To not think about it, but I can't fight the feeling like I'm missing something." His hands went to his hair as he bent over to rest his elbows on his knees. "It doesn't help that now Snape thinks I'm stealing Polyjuice potion."

"Someone's making a Polyjuice potion?" Things were definitely strange in Hogwarts. I was spending too much of my time stressed out about Cedric that I wasn't focusing on the well being of my best friend. "We'll figure this out Harry. Don't worry about it now. You still have one more task to get through."

Harry nodded again and removed his hands from his hair. He turned to look at me. "What was going on at the Black Lake between you, Viktor, and Cedric? It looked like Cedric was pretty upset over something."

"It's nothing." I waved my hand in dismissal. "Just a misunderstanding."

"Cedric's a good guy." Harry stated while staring at me intently.

I shrugged. "Seems to be. He certainly helped you out with the last task."

He continued to stare at me as if he was waiting for me to tell him more. I got the strangest feeling that Harry knew more than he was letting on. But that would be impossible. Cedric and I were very careful about our meetings. Though obviously the fight between him and Viktor was not as private as we thought.