Chapter 27: Home

"Are you sure we're headed the right way?" I fumbled with the map that was held out in front of me looking for the correct direction to get to 2114 Olive Ave, Nettlebed.

Cedric blocked the sun out with his hand and peered across the cul-de-sac. It had been a week since we returned from Hogwarts and after getting our affairs in order and making sure we had enough supplies we were on our way. Of course Harry and Ron knew nothing of this little road trip. I wasn't sure why I had kept it a secret I just thought it better to not get Harry's hopes up if nothing came from it. He had seemed so upset on the train.

Cedric's parents were aware, of course, as well as, a few members of the order. It seemed Georgina Smyth had gone into hiding and according to Dumbledore this was her last known address. Only Dumbledore would have such information. Go figure.

"There!" Cedric called as he pointed to a quaint cottage nestled between two split-levels. I don't know how he noticed it. It looked more like a garage than an actual house.

Quickly, I tucked the map and the copy of Ministry Mysteries: Myths and Legends-the book Dumbledore gave me-into my knapsack and followed Cedric as he crossed the street.

When we reached the door we shared an apprehensive look. Dumbledore said this journey wouldn't go without its risked and this seemed too easy. Cautiously, I lifted my hand and knocked lightly on the faded blue door.

As my hand made contact with the door it fell open and revealed a vacant living room covered in dust. I looked towards Cedric who had appeared to have his wand out and wordlessly asked him if I should continue on inside.

He seemed to think it over before he nodded but not without pulling out my want from my back pocket and placing it in my hand. Together we entered the room but there wasn't much to see. Cobwebs had grown in the corners of the room and it appeared no one had lived her for decades. It amazed me how such a pretty neighborhood could allow this promising cottage go to waste.

"Guess it was silly of me to think we would find her this quickly." I shrugged as Cedric returned from checking the rest of the rooms.

He quieted his voice before speaking. "It hasn't been vacant for long. The lamp in the bedroom is new from Bed Knobs & Broomsticks."

"Fancy furniture, Diggory?" I arched an eyebrow playfully at him.

He pinched my side. "Mum was raving about it in one of her letters. She sent pictures."

"She's so adorable."

He walked over and pulled me close to him before pushing back the stray strands of hair that had fallen out of my messy bun. I inhaled the smell of him and enjoyed ever intoxicating moment. A whole summer together with no parents, stuck in hotel rooms and living out of backpacks had definitively been making up for a summer under the watchful eye of Umbridge.

"She's decorating our future home. She already has a color scheme."

I couldn't help the smile that ghosted my face. "Future home?"

"Dear Hermione," Cedric tisked. "You mean to tell me my utter love and devotion to you and the mere fact that I am besotted by your very presence hasn't convinced you have my affection? Of my hopes to have you with me until all eternity? It appears I must try harder. You deserve the world, my pet."

I slapped him playfully. "Don't be naughty."

"Sorry, love. I get carried away around you."

The blush crossed my face and I knew if he kept this up we were about to have very dirty sex. Not because of the raunchiness but because every speck of this place was disgusting. I'd like to think I had some sense of decency even when it came to Cedric.