Chapter 44: Bliss

------------------------
Six Years Later....
------------------------

After the war was over, I returned to Hogwarts and attained my N.E.W.T.s. Harry and Ron, however, were not so inclined to do so. Once I had finished up my educational career at Hogwarts, I waved goodbye to the place that had sparked so many changes in my once dull and mediocre life and moved on to my job at the Ministry of Magic. Mr. Weasley put in a good word for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. Dobby had inspired me all those years ago and I worked as hard as I could to get house-elves the rights they justly deserved. My job at the Ministry had also helped me locate my parents all the way in Australia and restore their memories. It was the reunion I had always hoped for.

Ron and Luna, as well as, Harry and Cho, both married quickly and were repopulating the wizarding world. Luna and Ron seemed to be the perfect match, especially with their eclectic child names like Hugo and Persephone. Luna took over the Quibbler business for her father and Ron went to work with her, making sure they put in a Quidditch section. With the Daily Prophets good name down the drain, it was the highest grossing magazine in the wizarding world. Harry and Cho were expecting their second and had been kind enough to name Cedric and me the godparents of their first born, James. Harry worked as an Auror for the Ministry while Cho designed formal attire for wizards. Ever since Ron's horrendous dress robes at the Yule Ball it had become her passion. Neville and Ginny chose to travel the world rather than settle down right away. We all received postcards from their many travels.

Eventually, the new Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, asked for my assistance in eradicating the old laws that were bias in the favor of pure-blooded wizards and I attained a high position in the Department of Law Enforcement. While I still worked for the Ministry part time I chose to turn towards my first love... books. Currently, I was working on translating The Tales of Beedle the Bard with the help of my favorite professor, Minerva McGonagall. Ever since she heard of my newest endeavor she has been sending me Dumbledore's notes on the subject.

As for Cedric and I, well, we moved into a modest house outside Ottery St. Catchpole near our friends. Cedric was lucky enough to gain a spot on the England National Quidditch team as their seeker, shortly after the war. As brilliant as he was in fighting off the Dark Arts, it wasn't his true passion and I supported him in his decision. Even while he was off traveling the world, we made time for each other. The distance was easier now that it was a peaceful time. Cedric knew I wasn't ready to settle down right out of school and that I couldn't follow him around like the other Quidditch wives but that was what made us great. We loved each other but we let each other live our dreams.
------------------------
"Hermione, have you seen this!" Cedric called from the kitchen.

I looked up from my notes to see him approaching carrying a Chocolate Frog. "What is it?"

He turned the complimentary Chocolate Frog Card over to reveal my moving face and a list of my accomplishments. "Is this for real?"

"Yeah, of course it is." He smiled down at me. "Why don't you look a little closer...?"

I took the card from his hands and read over the back. It told about my work for the house-elves and reshaping wizarding law. But at the very bottom read the most peculiar line: "Hermione Granger is currently engaged to ENQ Seeker, Cedric Diggory, who fought beside her in the Second Wizarding War." My eyes scanned the line several times in confusion. It wasn't like them to get facts wrong, especially when no speculation had been made. When I turned towards Cedric to share my confusion he was no longer towering above me. My eyes drifted downwards and found him on one knee and holding out a box which held the most beautiful diamond ring I had ever seen.

"Hermione..." Cedric breathed in his velvet voice. "From that moment I found you crying on those stairs all those years ago, I've wanted to be the one to keep you from pain. You turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't imagine anyone else that I would rather spend the rest of my life with. I know we've taken this time to live out our dreams but you are one of mine. Hermione Jean Granger, will you do me the honor of marrying me?"