Chapter 36: Cobwebs

We stood in front of the door of 12 Grimmauld Place. We weren't sure what would be awaiting us behind this door but we only hoped we would be safe here. Harry stepped forward and tapped his wand on the weathered surface of the door and a serious of metallic clicks sounded before the door swung open with a creak. The gas lamps sprung to life, illuminating the narrow cobwebbed hallway. We looked around before Harry stepped forward.

"Severus Snape?" A voice called out.

"Mad-Eye?" Harry answered.

Just then a great rush of cold air swept through the hallway and then we all jumped. Something shifted in the shadows, rising from the carpet, before it rushed towards us. The shadow looked vaguely like Dumbledore-only ghostly and worm-eaten as if it was a corpse come to life-empty eye sockets, sunken face, and all. It raised its want before exploding in a cloud of dust and drifting back to the carpet.

"What was that about?" Ron asked.

"Mad-Eye's doing, I'd guess. In case Snape decided to come snooping."

The sound of a floorboard creak caused us all to stiffen and I slowly raised my wand, peering in the shadows.

"Harry?" a voice called out. "Hermione?"

A figure stepped out of the shadows and revealed itself. Sirius stood there, wand at the ready, before smiling and opening his arms for his godson. Harry didn't waste a moment before propelling himself into his arms. We all breathed a sigh of relief before making our way down the corridor.

"What are you kids doing here?" Sirius asked when Harry finally released him. "It's dangerous to be here."

"We could ask the same of you." Harry reminded.

"Cedric, how could you let them come here? Snape knows of this place if he chooses he could very well walk through here and snatch Harry up."

"I wasn't aware of where we were headed until Harry apparated us here. By then it was too late and I thought it best to seek safety."

"Well, you're here now. How about some tea?" Sirius offered as we made our way to the kitchen.

"I'll make it. If I remember correctly, you're a bit out of practice after all those years in Azkaban." Cedric stated as he walked to the store and readied the teapot.

We sat around the table and explained to Sirius of the Death Eater's invasion at the wedding and our little fight at the café. He could tell we were clearly spent. Ron asked me for my purse and I handed it over as he pulled out one of his father's radios. He turned it on and it hissed to life as the daily report began to read the list of dead and missing.

Sirius didn't seem to want to think of such things. "Harry, I've been meaning to ask you something and I think it's now or never since every time I've tried, fate took you away. I want to adopt you. Of course, only if you'll have me."

"What?" Harry asked as tears pricked his eyes.

"I know I can't offer you much now. And I've only got a year left before you're eighteen and a legal adult. But I want you to know you have family and I'm willing to be part of it."

"Yes." Harry answered. "I'd actually love that."

"Great." Sirius smiled. "Now that's settled. Any luck with Dumbledore's mission?" Harry turned towards me and I reached into the purse and pulled out the locket. I handed it over to Sirius who opened it and read the folded up parchment to himself. "So, I assume you are searching for R.A.B.?"

"Yes. Any ideas?" I asked.

"Cedric. Are you too caught up in this beautiful witch to help her out?"

"Excuse me?" Cedric asked as he handed us all our cup of tea. "Am I supposed to know who R.A.B. is?"