Chapter 34: Identical

As the train pulled into Kings Cross, I searched frantically for Cedric. It wasn't hard to miss the array of Aurors that surrounded the station making sure we all made it off the train in one piece. They filled every vacant spot that wasn't swarmed with anxious parents. Dumbledore's death was still on everyone's mind- especially Harry's. He held his vacant expression for most of the ride leaving Ron to scurry off to find Luna and me to pretend I was reading a book. Cho was trying to show him any comfort she could but all he did was hold her hand and stare dejectedly out the window.

I turned away from the window and Harry to see a Fourth Year holding a copy of The Daily Prophet with a picture of the new Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour. I'd read up some pretty good things about him. I only hoped he wouldn't be as dimwitted as Fudge.

The train came to a stop and we all stood and made our way out of the compartment. As I stepped off the train, I saw him. I contained myself enough not to run into his arms but instead walked purposely towards him and planted my lips on his. I felt him melt into the kiss and I responded vigorously. I didn't care that we were in public or that the Weasley's were nearby. I just needed him.

When we finally came up for air, I breathed, "Hello."

"Hi." He smiled. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

I felt hands pulling me from him and I was suddenly enveloped by bushy chestnut colored hair. The hands attached to the hair hugged me close before it released me and held me at arm's length.

"Hermione, dear, I'm so happy to see you're alright."

"I'm fine, Mrs. Diggory. Just so happy to be home." I smiled.

She kissed my cheek before Mr. Diggory came over and placed his hand around my shoulder. "Hermione, dear, got all your things?"

I was about to answer no before Cedric interrupted. "I got them."

Now that the pleasantries were over it seemed both the men were in Order mode. We would have to get back to headquarters. I searched for Harry and saw him being dotted by Mrs. Weasley. She seemed to be pushing him along before he stopped her and whispered something in her ear. She nodded and then Harry walked over to Cho and seemed to be fumbling with his words. Cho grabbed both his hands and caught his eyes before placing a kiss on his lips. She hugged him and then turned on her way. Harry got my eye and we shared a look before the Weasley's took him off.

"You ready to go?" Cedric asked when they had disappeared.

"Yes."
------------------------
We spent the summer with my parents. Enjoying various family outings and game nights. Cedric was introduced to the entire Granger clan and he fit in perfectly. The Diggory's even stopped by every now and then for dinner and Cedric and I breathed in relief that our families got along so well. It was a whirlwind summer and before long it was the end of July and we had to return to the Weasley's.

"You don't have to do this, you know. We can protect them."

I shook my head as we made our way up the walkway to my house. "That's why I'm doing this. It's the only way."

He gripped my hand as I entered my house. My mother and father were in the kitchen and offered us a cup of tea. We nodded before we made our way up to my bedroom and I stared one last time around the place that once was my only escape. I felt along the books housed in my bookshelf and the now full bulletin board of pictures of Cedric, Harry, Ron, Luna and my friends. I could hardly think of this room as home anymore. I had grown so much from when I first received my Hogwarts letter. Then I was a nerdy, lonely girl who was often made fun of. Cedric came up behind me and kissed my neck.