Chapter 37: Splinched

We emerged from the tiny garage. Each of us checking our pockets for identification. Cedric pulled out a Ministry card that read the name "Leonard Higgs." He laughed as he said the name as if it didn't sit right with him.

Ron pulled out his ID card. "In case you're interested, I'm Reg Cattermole, Magical Maintenance Department."

"Mafalda Hopkirk," I smiled, "assistant in the Improper Use of Magic Office."

Harry started patting his pockets but found nothing. "I'm nobody."

"You're somebody. Be careful." I reminded.

Just then a lanky wizard strode by. "Morning, Reg! Good luck today."

Confused, Ron responded, "Oh... yeah. Thanks." He glanced at us and jerked his head towards the wizard and we followed. As we approached the public toilets and watched as the wizard dropped down the stairs, Ron asked, "What do you reckon he meant by 'Good luck.'?"

We shrugged and then I separated going to the Ladies' toilets and entering into the cubicle. I stepped up onto the toilet, dipping my heel in gingerly, before withdrawing it and noticing it was completely dry. Perfect. I stepped in fully, reached up, and pulled the chain and was instantly lucked down. Suddenly, I was being shot out of a fireplace into the grand atrium of the Ministry of Magic. The first thing I noticed was the massive black stone statue depicting witches and wizards sitting upon hundreds of naked bodies twisted in pain.

Harry came up beside me. "Are those...?"

"Muggles. In their rightful place." I said with disgust as I read over the engraving "Magic is Might."

Cedric approached just as a balding wizard bumped into Harry. "Move it, will you-oh, Runcorn! Forgive me..." The wizard scurried away, clearly frightened.

"You appear to be quite popular." I stated.

Ron approached, and the pitied looks of co-workers followed him. "I gotta tell you, I'm starting to freak out a bit."

A hang of young, rough-looking wizards entered the Atrium, pushing along a small group of what appeared to be captives. Harry looked on and said, "The Ministry must be hiring young these days."

"They're not Ministry." Ron whispered. "They're snatchers.

Cedric continued. "They hunt Muggle-borns and blood-traitors for a price."

Harry turned towards me. "How long did you say this batch of Polyjuice Potion would last, Hermione?"

"I didn't."

We walked towards the elevators and man strode towards us propping himself between the doors. "Cattlemole! It's still raining in my office. Two days now."

"Really? Have you tried an umbrella?"

The man eyed Ron curiously before he leaned forward menacingly. "You do realize I'm on my way downstairs, don't you, Cattermole?"

"Downstairs...?"

"To interrogate your wife! If my wife's blood status were in doubt and the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement needed a job doing, I think I'd make it a priority. You've got one hour."

He stepped back and the lift doors clanged shut. We all stared forward as we watched the man storm off. Ron was still in shock. "Oh my god. What am I going to do? My wife's all alone downstairs."

"Ron. You don't have a wife." Harry reminded.

"Oh. Right."

"Look, we'll go with you-"

Ron shook his head. "No. That's mad."

"I'll come with you." Cedric stated before turning to Harry and me. "You two find Umbridge."