Chapter 8

Laura felt like she was in a hot seat, just sitting on the same couch with Kevin. She didn't know why she was feeling this way and she hated the fact that she couldn't control it.

"You're engaged now," Kevin suddenly said, bringing Laura back to reality.

"Yes," she replied.

Laura felt a wave of guilt as soon as she replied.

"Kevin-"

"It's okay. I mean I'm happy for you." Kevin said trying to ease the tension in the atmosphere but Laura could see right through him. He was hurt but was trying hard to hide it.

"I'm not good enough for you, Laura. You deserve someone better."

Laura knew at that moment why she was uncomfortable with his presence. She had walked out on them without making an effort to work things out or try to make things better. She felt terrible right now.

"I see a therapist now and it has helped a little, I guess?" He continued.

Laura felt like hugging him and telling him how sorry she was for leaving him and how she wanted things to be as they used to but by doing that she would be betraying Scott and she couldn't do it because she loved him too.

"Kevin, that's a good thing. I'm glad you finally made the right decision," she said with a smile.

"I was wondering since you're in town now, maybe we could go out sometime," he suggested.

Laura wanted to stay away from him but at the same time, she wanted to be close to him.

"Okay, that'll be fine," she replied hoping she be able to control her emotions around him because even though theweren't't together, she still had strong feelings for him.

"I'm glad I got to see you this time."

Laura just smiled and at that instant, a maid walked in to let her know that breakfast was ready.

"Oh, thanks," Laura said then turned to Kevin.

"Would you like to have breakfast?" She asked Kevin.

"If you don't mind, yes."

"Oh please, I don't. You just saw mom leave awhile ago so I'm all alone and I don't like that."

"You haven't changed," he said making her blush.

She became aware of the fact that she didn't need to explain herself because he knew her too well.

Kevin left after breakfast and promised to come take Laura out during the week. He wanted to spend time with her now that she was close.

Laura was glad that things turned out well and she didn't feel so awkward talking to her ex.

                                           **********

Scott was in his office when he got a call from Logan.

"Hello,"  Scott said over the phone.

"Hello, sir. I just wanted to let you know that a candidate has come for the position of secretary."

"Really?"

"Yes, sir. We've interviewed her and concluded that she'll be good for the job but I wanted to still ask for your permission, to know if you'd like to interview her yourself since she'll be working for you, that's if you don't mind?"

"That's a good idea, Logan. But first, send in her résumé before letting her into my office."

"Okay, sir." Then he hung up.

Logan sent the résumé to Scott and he got to know that the person's name was Lisa Norman. He was going through the résumé when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," he said and the door opened revealing a pretty light brown hair Lady with grey eyes. She looked to be 27 years old and was 5ft 7 inches tall.

"Lisa?"

Scott was surprised to see that the person in question was his ex. He knew the name looked familiar but he didn't realize it was her.

"Hi, Scott," she replied.

"Hi. Come have a seat."

"Thanks."

"I thought you were in Georgia. What are you doing here?" He continued.

"Well, I decided I needed a change of environment cos I got tired of living there," she chuckled.

"Wow, it's been quite a while!... I saw the name on your résumé but never imagined that it was you." Scott said still quite surprised and a little excited seeing Lisa again.

"So, do I fit for the job?" Lisa nervously asked hoping that she'd get a positive reply.

Scott was now deep in thought. He was wondering what went wrong in their relationship that made Lisa walk out on them. He pondered whether or not he should go into that now or leave it for some other day. He was brought out of his thoughts by Lisa's question.

He looked at her and decided that he needed her near, that was the only way he would be able to get the answers he needed.

"You know what?... You've got the job."

"Thank you!" Lisa excitedly said.

"So, when can I start working?" She asked.

"Tomorrow will be fine," he replied.

"Thanks a lot, Scott. I promise I'll try my best not to let you down."

He just smiled at her statement.

"I'll take my leave now. It seems you were busy and I don't want to take much of your time," she said and stood up to leave.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said before walking out.