Chapter 19

Scott returned home quite late. He walked into the room and noticed that it was in a mess.

"What the hell happened here?!" He asked surprised at the much damage that had been done to the room.

Laura managed to drag herself up and walked up to him.

"Can we talk?" She said.

"I told you not to wait up for me, didn't I?

"I got worried, Scott. You weren't picking up any of my calls and still weren't back home, so I decided to stay up just to be sure you're okay."

"Well, I told you I was going to be working late. That should be reason enough for you to know that I won't be home early," he replied. His eyes still looking at the messy room.

"You keep late nights these days and expect me not to be worried?"

"So, you decided to make a mess of the room because of that?" He said dropping his briefcase beside him and placing both arms in his pockets scowling at her.

"What has come over you, Laura?" Scott angrily asked. Laura was startled by his question.

"No, you got it wrong, Scott. I should be the one asking you that," she replied with anger laced in her voice.

"It's too late for this. I need to rest." Scott replied avoiding having any further conversation with her. Instead, he tried finding his way through the broken glasses to get into the closet.

"No, no. We need to talk cos you always find an excuse to avoid this conversation. Tell me, Scott, what's going on?" Laura asked following him to the closet, trying to sound as calm as she could because she was already raging with so much anger.

"Scott, I forgive you for everything okay? But please can we go back to being the way we used to be?" Laura desperately pleaded.

Scott raised a brow wondering what she meant by she forgave him.

"You're drunk." Was his reply before changing into the sweatpants and white T-shirt he took from the closet?

"I'm drunk because of you, Scott! You make me sick with your current behavior! I don't even know you anymore!" she yelled.

"Scott, please just tell me that you forgive me for leaving you all alone for two months and I, on the other hand, forgive you for whatever you might have done behind my back. Please let's not go on leaving this way, I'm tired," she said breaking down in tears.

Scott was staring at Laura wondering if she had found out about his unfaithfulness because of her last statement. If she had, it would be easier to just break up with her right now but on second thoughts, he restrained himself because of the company. It hurts him to see her this way but there's nothing he could do about it. He no longer has feelings for her but he has to be selfish and keep the relationship because of the company which they both share

"When was the last time we made love? Or when was the last time you told me you loved me?" Laura asked still in tears.

"Scott, please just tell me you love me. Please, just say it." She begged.

"What do you want from me, Laura? Huh?! We're together isn't that enough for you?!" He yelled making Laura flinch.

"Look here, if you don't remember that we're expecting our clients from China tomorrow, then I do. I need to get some rest, okay? So, stop nagging and just let me be." He said before walking out of their bedroom leaving her there to go sleep in one of the guestrooms not just because their room was in a mess but also because he couldn't stand Laura anymore, she was getting out of hand.

Laura broke down completely, she was sobbing uncontrollably. She had tried all she could to work things out with Scott because she didn't want to make the same mistake she had made in her previous relationship. She didn't want to walk away and later regret it, but Scott wasn't ready to work things out, it seemed his mind was already made up.

"I hate you, Scott," Laura murmured to herself.

She searched for her phone through the pile of scattered clothes and reaching for it, she dialed a number.

"Hello, Kevin," she said sniffling back her tears.

"Laura?" Kevin lazily said, sounding like he just woke up.

Laura felt terrible for bothering him at an odd hour. She didn't know when she suddenly broke down crying.

"Laura, what's wrong?" Kevin asked sounding worried.

"Can you come pick me up?"