Chapter 17

It was a Saturday afternoon, Laura was in the bathroom taking a shower while Scott was on the bed when Laura's phone began ringing. Scott contemplated whether or not to pick up the call or just ignore it. After several rings, he decided to pick up the call.

"Hello," he said.

Then he heard an unfamiliar voice at the other end of the phone.

"Hello. Who is this?" Kevin asked when he heard a male voice instead of that of Laura.

"I'm Scott, Laura's fiancé. May I know who is calling?" Scott replied.

Kevin got angry just hearing the name of the man who was present with the woman he adored. He took a deep breath to control his anger and then said,

"I'm Kevin. May I speak to Laura?"

That name rang a bell to Scott. He suddenly remembered that Kevin was the name of Laura's ex-boyfriend, she had mentioned that before.

At that moment, Laura came out of the bathroom. Scott began looking at Laura suspiciously.

Laura, on the other hand, was wondering why Scott was staring at her in such a manner.

"Hello? Are you still there?" Kevin asked when Scott didn't give him a reply. Then Scott said,

"She isn't home." And he hung up still looking at Laura.

"Why is Kevin calling you?" He then asked her.

Laura was surprised at his question. She wondered why he had to go ahead and pick up her call.

"Laura, why is your ex calling you?" He asked with anger now in his voice.

"That's none of your business." She replied while walking into the closet with Scott following her behind.

"Besides, why did you pick up my call?" She asked now turning around to face him.

"Oh, so it's none of my business?... So, this was the reason you went to LA claiming you wanted to go see your mom... I should've known."

Laura was shocked. She couldn't believe that he just accused her of cheating.

"Scott, what are you implying?" She asked just to make sure she didn't come up with her conclusions.

"Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about," he angrily said.

Laura got furious and slapped him hard across the face.

Scott was surprised at what Laura just did and so was she. She had no idea what came over her but she had to make him understand that he had crossed the limits.

"Scott, I'm-"

"Save it," he said walking out of the room and leaving the house.

Laura felt bad for what she did. She should've tried talking to him so they would work things out rather she just made things worse. She decided to give him a call. She called him several times but he wasn't picking up. She sent voice messages but he didn't reply. She became worried wondering where he might be.

Hours went by and Scott still wasn't back neither was he picking Laura's calls.

She stayed in the living room hoping he'd come back so she could apologize.

Scott was lying naked on the bed with Lisa beside him. They had just finished making love. Scott's phone was continuously ringing but he refused to pick up.

"Babe, aren't you gonna pick your call?" Lisa asked.

"Forget about that. I didn't come here for calls, I came to be with you." Scott replied.

Lisa smiled at his reply but at the same time, she was tired of being the one he had to be with in secret. She wanted people to be aware of their romance and not this hide-and-seek relationship they keep playing.

"Scott, I'm tired of being with you in secret. When is this going to end?"

"Lisa, I need time."

"You keep saying that but you haven't said anything to her yet. Do you even love me like you claim you do?" Lisa said standing up from the bed. She began to wear her nightwear.

"It's not as easy as you think, Lisa. Our businesses are merged and breaking up will have a serious effect on the company because it will be difficult to split it now that we've gotten a huge contract... And to be honest, I don't want to lose that deal." He said walking up to Lisa and wrapping his arms around her waist. She then turned around to face him.

"Okay, I'll wait but I'm scared that you might change your mind,"

"I won't. I love you."

"I love you, too," she replied. They kissed and went back to lay on the bed.

Laura didn't know she had slept in the living room until Karen, her maid came to wake her up.

"Ma'am, aren't you going upstairs? It's already late."

Laura woke up and noticed that she was still in the living room.

"What time is it?" She asked Karen.

"It's midnight, ma'am."

She couldn't believe it was already midnight. She had been waiting for Scott and had no idea when she slept off.

"Is Scott back?"

"Not yet, ma'am."

She sighed in disappointment and then said,

"Thanks, Karen. You may go now."

Karen was about to leave Laura's presence when she began contemplating whether or not to tell her what happened in the house during her absence.

"Ma'am?"

"Yes," Laura replied wondering what more Karen wanted to say.

"I don't know if I should tell you this. I don't want to lose my job but I'm worried about you."

Laura didn't understand what Karen was talking about.

"What is it, Karen?"

"When you were away, there was this lady who usually came over to spend some nights with the boss,"

"What are you talking about?" Laura asked her full attention now on Karen.

"Ma'am, it seems something was going on between them... What's her name?... Um. Lisa? Yeah, Lisa."

"Why didn't you tell me anything before?" She asked Karen angrily.

"I was scared, ma'am. I didn't want to lose my job. Please don't tell the boss that I told you anything."

"If you care so much about your job then, why did you still end up telling me about it?"

"I noticed you and the boss aren't like you used to be and I was really worried about you because you look sad these days."

Laura was touched by that. She was internally happy that someone cared about her and how she felt.

She just smiled at Karen and said,

"Thanks for your concern, and don't worry Scott wouldn't know a thing," she assured her.

"Thank you, ma'am. I'll leave you to rest." Karen replied and left with a smile on her face, happy that Laura was understanding.

Sorry for the delay in updating
I'm back and promise not to leave you guys hanging. Thanks for being patient with me