Chapter 10

Laura was on her bed trying to sleep but she couldn't because she was restless. She couldn't understand why Scott didn't pick up her call. She knew it was late when she had called but she was certain that Scott wasn't asleep at that hour because he normally stayed up late. She hoped deep down that something wasn't wrong with him but what she couldn't figure out was why he hadn't called her back. He should've seen her missed calls by now, she thought to herself.

She was trying hard to sleep when she heard her phone ring. She jumped from her bed excitedly thinking that maybe Scott had called back. She hurriedly picked up the call without checking the caller ID.

"Hello, baby. Are you okay?" She asked.

"Laura, it's me, Kevin." She heard Kevin's voice to her disappointment

"Laura, are you okay?"

She composed herself for Kevin not to notice the disappointment in her voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Hi."

"I'm sorry to be calling you at this hour. I know it's late but I was wondering if we could go out tomorrow."

Laura wasn't expecting that so soon. She had no idea how to reply to the invitation. She and her ex going out on a date, that was questionable, she thought to herself.

Kevin, on the other hand, was worried he had said something wrong since he didn't hear her say anything.

"Please, don't misunderstand me, Laura. I just want us to go out, nothing more. But, it's okay if you say no."

"No, no, please don't take my silence the wrong way, Kevin. It's just that I wasn't expecting your call and I'm a little surprised at your invitation. Although, you know you already mentioned something about us hanging out, I wasn't expecting it so soon." She honestly replied.

"I'm sorry, if you like we could postpone it. Maybe some other time?"

"Please, don't. Tomorrow is fine by me. What time should I be ready?"

Kevin was excited that she agreed to hang out. Laura could hear it in his voice.

"8 pm would be fine"

Okay, I'll be ready by 8."

"Okay then, goodnight. See you tomorrow."

"Good night," she replied and the line went dead.

Laura decided not to stay up any longer because she was already developing a headache from worrying too much, so she went to bed with the thought of her date with Kevin the following night.

Laura woke up the next morning glad that the headache was gone. She decided not to go to the company that day after having a stressful previous week and also because she knew that if she went to the company, she wouldn't be able to get prepared on time for her date with Kevin. She called Craig to let him know that she wouldn't be coming to work today, so he was in charge of the company that day. She hung up after the call and headed downstairs for breakfast, she was wearing a tank top with denim shorts.

"Good morning, Mom," she greeted her mom who was already at the dining table.

"Good morning, love. I thought you'd never wake up and I didn't want to bother you," her mom said.

She then took a better look at Laura and noticed that she wasn't dressed for work as she was just in a white crop top and denim shorts.

"Aren't you going to the company today?... Or wait, don't tell me you're already tired, cos I'm your mother and I took care of that company for over 3 years now and you've only been there for like 2 weeks and a half?"

"Mom, could you let me explain sometimes before you come to your own conclusions?"

"I was only asking, honey." her mom replied.

Laura began twiddling her thumbs. Her mom stared at her with a questioning look, a little surprised at her sudden nervousness.

"Is there something you wanna tell me, honey?" Her mom asked.

Laura then stopped and turned to her mom, she took a deep breath and said,

"Kevin called last night and wanted us to go out on a date tonight and, I said yes."

Her mom was excited to hear that.

"Honey?! He did that?"

Laura just nodded in reply.

"So, we'll go shopping then, to get you something nice to wear."

"Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie."

"Am I doing the right thing?... I mean, going out on a date with my ex?"

"Look honey, you're doing nothing wrong. It's not like you're getting back together with him...  It's only a date, so don't be so nervous about it."