Chapter 16

It's been three weeks since Laura returned to New Orleans. She and Scott never got to talk like he promised they would. She also noticed that he kept late nights which was rare and he never for once gave any reason for it. This wasn't the Scott she had fallen in love with, he had turned into a total stranger. Of late, they acted more like co-workers, and that had brought a lot of whispers in the company, Laura didn't like that one bit. She needed Scott to tell her where she had gone wrong, so she decided to wait up for him that night so they would talk.

Scott came home late as usual. Laura was sitting on the bed in their room waiting.

"Why are you home late?" She asked as soon as he walked into the room. He ignored her question and started taking off his shirt.

"I was busy working on some files." He lied.

"You can still do that when you get home, you know?" He didn't give any reply to Laura's statement, so Laura walked up to him and stood right in front of him.

"What's happening to us, Scott?" She asked staring right into his eyes, trying to figure what might be going on in his head.

"What are you talking about?" He asked sounding angry.

"You know what I'm talking about, Scott. You hardly stay home these days. We don't go to the company together anymore, neither do we come back together and you come home late all in the name of being busy. This isn't you, Scott."

"I need to go shower." Was all he said, leaving her standing in the room and going into the bathroom.

Laura wasn't done yet, so she followed him.

"Please, just tell me if you're mad at me for going to see my mom?" She pleaded.

Scott just ignored her and showered. When he was done and about to leave the bathroom, Laura stopped him.

"Scott, why are you doing this to us?" She asked.

"Laura, I don't know what's going on in your head. You think too much," he said and walked out of the bathroom. Laura was frustrated with his reply.

"You act indifferent these days and you say I think too much?" Scott walked out of the closet wearing his sweatpants.

"When was the last time we kissed, huh?" She angrily asked. Scott walked up to her and gave her a quick kiss.

"Now, we've kissed. Are you happy?" He said. Laura used the opportunity to kiss him again but before the kiss could deepen Scott stopped her.

"Laura, I need to rest. Goodnight," he said and walked to his side of the bed, lay down, and slept.

Laura walked out of the room crying, she now believes he is cheating on her but why? she thought to herself walking into the living room. She couldn't hold in her anger anymore.

"How could you do this to me?!" She yelled smashing one of their picture frame in the living room.

                ****FLASHBACK****

"Baby? What's wrong this time?" Kevin asked Laura while they were lying on the bed.

"That girl was all over you and you didn't even act like you were offended. She was flirting with you and you led her on, right in my presence." Laura said with a frown.

"She wasn't bad looking, you know?" Kevin replied with a smirk.

"Seriously, Kevin!"

"Okay, okay!" He said laughing at Laura's reaction.

"You know I love you, right and I can never cheat on you."

"Well with what happened today, I  don't think I can trust you," she replied turning her back against him. He rolled her on her back and straddled her.

"Baby, I'd rather die than cheat on you. I'm crazy about you and I can never and will never feel that way for anyone other than you," Kevin said unbuttoning her pajama shirt.

Laura blushed at his statement.

"You mean that?" She asked.

"You know I mean every word I say," he replied, placing a kiss on her forehead, then her eyes and nose.

"You belong to me," he said before kissing her on the lips and making love to her that night.

                        ****END OF FLASHBACK****

Laura couldn't control the tears that were rolling down her cheeks. She felt so stupid right now because she had called her mom the previous week and complained about Scott's recent behavior. Her mom told her that there was a possibility that he was seeing someone else but she didn't want to accept it because she had no proof yet but with his attitude earlier on she was certain that he was seeing someone. Kevin would never do such a thing to her she was certain of it.