Chapter 12

After that night Scott and Lisa began having an affair. They went out on dates and she usually spent some nights at his house. He barely called Laura because he felt that he didn't need her and was having second thoughts about their relationship. He now doubted if he ever loved her or maybe he just jumped into a new relationship because he was hurt in the previous one.

Now that he had sorted things out with Lisa, he began thinking of a way to make Laura understand that he didn't love her anymore.

Laura, on the other hand, was worried about Scott. It's been a month now and she hardly received any calls from him even if she tried calling he wouldn't pick her calls or he'd tell her he was busy and would call her later which he never did. She became worried, wondering if he was upset with the fact that she had stayed too long with her mom. Not being able to know how he felt made Laura restless.

Her mom noticed her sudden behavior change and was worried about her.

"Laura, honey. What's wrong with you?"

Laura didn't know if she should tell her mom about it or just come up with some other excuse as to why she was this way.

"Talk to me, honey." Her mom insisted.

Then Laura decided to tell her.

"I don't understand, mom. Scott doesn't call like he used to and whenever I try calling him, he always ends up saying that he is busy with work."

"When you say he barely calls you and then you end up calling him, honey does he even call you at all?... Make it clear to me."

Laura knew that her mom would judge Scott or preferably her if she told her that he didn't call her anymore and that she was the one doing the calling now.

Her mom took a deep sigh.

"From the looks of it, he doesn't call you anymore," she said while looking skeptically at Laura.

Laura lowered her head in shame because her mom could read her and she hated it.

"Maybe, he's busy like he says he is... I shouldn't doubt him right?"

"When you told me you were busy with work and that was the reason why you barely called me, I knew I would be a third wheel in your relationship if I pressured you to call me more often because I didn't want to believe you, even though you might have been busy."

Laura wondered where her mom was going with this.

"I know how much you love and trust Scott and would want to give him the benefit of the doubt like I did to you, but honey, there is no way in this world that Scott should be too busy to call his fiancée... I mean he did it when you first arrived here, so what's so hard now?"

"What are you trying to say, Mom?"

"What I'm trying to say, Laura is Scott doesn't love you like he says he does. You're supposed to be his priority... Besides, the company belongs to the both of you, so if he feels like using the company as an excuse then he's supposed to fill you in on what's happening in the company that has gotten him so occupied."

Her mom was right, Laura thought to herself but she couldn't think of another reason why Scott had stopped calling.

"Maybe something came up," Laura said still trying to defend Scott's actions.

"Yeah. He must be really busy." her mom replied with sarcasm in her voice.

"Don't dwell too much on that, okay? You have better things to worry about." her mom suggested.

"Mom, he is my fiancé. It's normal for me to worry about him... I have no idea if he's okay or not."

"He never said he wasn't fine." her mom replied while rolling her eyes at what Laura just said.

"Can you just change the subject, honey, so we don't end up arguing?" Laura's mom suggested.

"So, how's Kevin?"

Laura blushed at her mom's question, knowing that her mom would stop at nothing to make her see Kevin the same way she used to before.

"He's fine, Mom. You should know that."

"Why would I? I mean you're the one who has been in touch with him these days,"

"Fine, if you say so. I already gave you the answer to that."

Her mom smiled at her daughter's sudden embarrassment when she brought Kevin up. She was glad she could change her dampened mood.

Laura and her mom spent the rest of the day talking about random things before going to bed that night.