Anything can happen when the Way brothers are in town

Heyo! I just wanted to say thank you so much for 100 reads. It really means a lot. So, yeah. Thanks!

~ la.

~

~ Ryan ~

"The final stop is Bomaderry Station. Please take time to ensure all of your personal belongings are with you."

The recording blared over the speakers, babbling about stopping here and there. That doesn't matter though, because we're just pulling into Nowra.

"B?" I lift my head off his shoulder, and he hums in disapproval. "Babe, stay.." He wines, keeping his eyes screwed shut.

"We're at the station, Bren." I watch as he squirms in his seat, wriggling into a more upright position. His eyes dart around the train, observing his surroundings.

"Grab your bag, sleeping beauty. I don't feel like a day trip to the train yards." At that, he grumbles under his breath, leaning into my shoulder.

"Then lets go, prince charming." He smirks at me, grabbing my hand to lead me off the train. There was barely anyone at the terminal, making it easy for me to spot my mum. Her hand was waving enthusiastically, as were Carmen's chubby little fingers. 

"Hey ma!" She pulls me into hug, before stepping back to look at me, keeping her hands on my shoulders. "Ryan, honey. You look so good!" I laugh, enjoying hearing my mother's bubbly voice again. "Ry Ry!" Carmen's reaching towards me from her spot on mum's hip, so I gladly take her, bouncing her up and down. "How's my pretty little sister going then?" She ignores me, preoccupied with the ringlet of curly brown hair that had fallen over my eyes. "Your hair's really long." She gives the curl a yank, making me giggle. 

Turning to face Brendon, I see that my mum had already averted her attention towards him. "Oh, yeah," I say, putting Carmen down. She makes a gurgling noise, grabbing a hold of my hand. "This is Brendon." I know I'm being awkward, but I can't help it. 

"Nice to meet you Brendon." Mum pulls Brendon into a hug, he's clearly taken by surprise at the gesture, so I flash him a smile to reassure him. "I'm Danielle." She smiles warmly before grabbing my bag. "Come on boys, the car's this way."

It was just starting to get dark when we piled into the car. I strapped Carmen into her baby seat, before getting in next to her. "You take the front, Bren." He smiles back at me. "Thanks. Ry Ry." He stresses the nickname, poking his tongue out at me. I glare back at him, before letting a laugh escape my mouth. Carmen seemed to think it was especially funny, erupting into a fit of giggles.

"So Brendon," My mum starts, pulling out of the parking lot. "How are you liking school?" 

"Uhm, It's alright, I guess. I like music the best, and me and Ryan have pretty cool friends. So yeah, it's pretty cool." 

"You like music?" Mum replies excitedly. "Ryan does too! Ryan?" She looks at me through the rear view mirror.

"Yeah ma?"

"You and Brendon could Jam together once we get back." I can almost feel the cringe radiating off of Brendon, only rivalled by my own. 

"Maybe ma." I answer.

We drive in silence for a while, listening to the local radio station. People are pissed at the pollies leading the country, other people are pissed at the people pissed at them. What's new? This debate goes back and forth until I hear some self righteous prick say the words 'Homosexuality just is not natural!' 

"Er, mum." I let the words slip out cautiously, not wanting to sound too impassioned about the topic. 

"Yeah, Ryan?" 

"Could you please turn the radio off?"

"Of course honey." She reaches over and turns the knob, leaving the car quiet. I can see Brendon's shoulders relax in front of me.

"So," I break the silence that had settled uncomfortably on the car. "Where's Fi at?" 

"She's at the park, Ryan." Mum answers.

"With dad?" 

"No, Ry. Your dad's busy with the lease, so he's in town for a couple of days. She's with Gee. He's here for a month or so. He was telling me he got sick of America. Missed us too much." 

"Is this Mikey Way's brother?" Brendon chimed in, turning round to face me. 

"Yeah, Gerard." I answer, refusing the urge to grab his hand. 

"Did you introduce Brendon to Mikey, Ryan?" Mum asks. I can see her raise an eyebrow in the mirror. 

Mum knows that Mikey is a handful, to say the least. It always shocks people when they find out he's Gerard's brother. Gee is a real introvert unless he's around people he's close with. Even if he's with Z, Mikey and I and we all go into town he'll keep to himself. Compared to Mikey, who's naturally flamboyant and loud. 

Knowing Mikey, mum probably thinks he's convinced Brendon to commit some sort of federal offence.

"We've met a couple of times, actually." Brendon answers for me. I didn't not want to answer the question, I'm just glad I didn't have to.

Mum hums in response to Brendon, as Carmen's gurgling gets increasingly more enthusiastic. "Mikeyyy" She calls out from next to me, giggling to herself.

"Mikey fucking way." Mum whispers under her breath. Only Brendon would've been able to make out the words, but I knew it was coming. It was an expression the park had become accustomed to, and was used even when the way's caravan was unoccupied. It had almost replaced the go-to 'I swear to god' every time something went wrong. 

"So Mikey has a reputation, does he?" Brendon adds a laugh to the end of his sentence.

"You could say that." I replied.

"What's he done?" He inquired. From what he's seen of Mikey, nothing will surprise him.

"Well, one time it was bonfire night," Mum starts.

"Oh yeah, he's told me this story. Screwed with the fireworks and added gasoline to the firewood?" Brendon butted in, finishing the story accurately.

Mum sighed. "Clearly it's earned him bragging rights then." 

"That and a close call with a lawsuit. We haven't seen those Italians again." I reminded her. We watched her roll her eyes, before talking again.

"Well, to be fair the only way Mikes got out of that one because they were eating the rosella parrots." Brendon's confused glance shifts between my mum and I.

"Will crazy stuff like that happen while I'm here."

I grin, looking into his eyes. "Anything can happen while the Way brothers are in town."