Chapter 1

The soles of Gibbs' shoes clicked softly on the stairs as he ascended to the floor on which Director Vance's office was located. It was quiet, a few minutes before dawn, and the only other member of Gibbs' team who was in was Tony DiNozzo, snoozing in his desk chair, wiped out after a long night figuring out an important lead in their current case.

Gibbs sighed and opened the door to Vance's office. He took a couple steps in and then stopped, looking at the Director of NCIS, Naval Criminal Investigation Services. "What, Leon?"

The moment before Vance's eyes flicked to the shadowy corner of his office, Gibbs sensed someone else was there. He turned and clenched his hands into fists, feeling the urge to draw his gun and demand answers from the man in the chair in the corner. But he didn't; instead, he watched the man shrewdly, head inclined slightly. He regarded him as one watched a rattlesnake that was coiled up and prepared to strike.

The man stood. About a little over average height, he was African American with an eyepatch covering a scarred eye, and bald. His dark clothes were nondescript, but Gibbs knew what weapons hid under that coat. Although he knew the man, that knowledge did not make him any less tense.

"We had a deal," Gibbs said. "I'd stay out of your business if you'd stay out of mine."

The man laughed grimly. "Good to see you, too, Gibbs."

Vance looked from the man to Gibbs. "You know him?"

Gibbs jerked his chin down slightly. "Fury and I go way back, Leon." Turning his attention back to Nick Fury, his fists still clenched, he continued. "What do you want? Why are you here?"

Fury walked forward, out of the shadows. "I have a favor to ask, Gibbs."

"A favor?" Gibbs asked suspiciously. "What kind of favor?"

Fury looked out the window. "I'm sure you heard about the attack on New York."

Gibbs nodded. "Of course I heard about that. Everyone heard about that. What really annoys me is how S.H.I.E.L.D. hushed everything up concerning it."

Fury looked grave. "I had to do that, Gibbs. It was requested."

"By who?" Gibbs demanded. "I know you apprehended the villain who masterminded it. Who is seeing that the man responsible is brought to justice?"

Fury sighed. "That's just the problem, Gibbs. He is not a man."

Gibbs kept his eyes intent on Fury, silently waiting for the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. to finish his sentence.

"He's a god."

Vance stared at Fury in disbelief. Gibbs narrowed his eyes. "You can't expect me to believe that, Fury."

In answer, Fury pulled a device from his pocket and projected a video onto the wall of Vance's office. Gibbs watched in silence as a recording, featuring a dark haired man in a horned golden helmet with a glowing blue staff, began to play. Helmet Man was first shown fighting a man dressed in blue with a shield – Captain America – and was doing a pretty good job until Iron Man flew in and blasted him. He was shown flying through New York City, fighting with a buff guy wielding a hammer, being blown out of the sky by an exploding arrow held in his hand. Finally, a scene with the man in a transparent cell, talking first to Nick Fury, then to a red haired woman, was shown, before the projection clicked off.

"Still don't believe you, Fury," Gibbs said in reply to Fury's glance. "That just proves he can cause some collateral damage. Not that he's a god."

"He is a god," Fury said. "An alien, in a way, from outer space. From Asgard. Remember the events in New Mexico, two years ago? His kind was responsible for that. They are also responsible for the suppression of evidence that S.H.I.E.L.D. has collected on him." He deposited his device back into his pocket. "His brother, Thor, took him back to Asgard after his capture in New York, and his father, Odin, their king, has meted out justice to him."

"Why do I think there's a 'but' coming?" Gibbs asked.

"His father wishes for him to make amends for his mischief by doing volunteer work here."

"Mischief?" Gibbs repeated. "He nearly destroyed New York, Fury. If that's mischief, I'd hate to see him angry."

"Anyway," Fury continued, ignoring Gibbs' interjection. "Thor has asked me to find a suitable place for his brother to work at, and I thought of you."

Gibbs' face darkened. "You want him brought here?"

"I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't know you could handle him," Fury said. "And you'd have both his father's and his brother's permission to put a bullet in him if he gives you any trouble."

Gibbs glanced at Vance. "Did you know he was going to ask this?"

"No," Vance said. "But this decision is up to you, Gibbs. It's your team."

Gibbs thought for a moment. "What's his name?" he finally asked.

"Loki," Fury answered. "I have a file for you on him, approved for your eyes, but your eyes only."

Gibbs flipped through the file, seeing a psychological analysis on Loki, a comprehensive record of what he had done, and a summary given by his brother, Thor. He had a feeling that no matter what he said, Fury had already given the order to have Loki transferred to NCIS. It was just like him.

"When's he arriving?"

Fury laughed uneasily. "Oh, that. Well, I wasn't sure if you'd take him –"

"I know you gave the order, Fury," Gibbs interrupted. "When did you tell his brother to bring him here?"

Fury was silent for a moment before speaking. "Seven o'clock."

"What if I don't agree?" Gibbs demanded. "What if I say no?"

"I wanted your full cooperation, Gibbs, but I've got an overriding order that says Loki will be passed into your custody. He'll be arriving in a few moments."

Gibbs, furious, turned to leave the office, but then glanced back at Fury. "I'm warning you, Nick Fury: if he hurts any one of my team, I will come after you, personally, after I'm finished with him."