Chapter 13

Loki and Thor drove Gibbs and Fornell crazy at breakfast. The god of mischief had recovered from the day before and answered all of Thor's comments with sarcastic comebacks.

"What's this?" Thor asked, frowning in disdain at his oatmeal.

"It's 'oafmeal,'" Loki retorted. "Made for stupid oafs like you."

Thor shot a glare at Loki, who smirked and took a bite of his own oatmeal. "Then why are you eating it?" Thor demanded.

Loki started to snap back, choked on his food, and spent several minutes trying to regain his breath. Fornell and Gibbs kept right on eating as Thor looked at his brother with an air of concern.

Loki grabbed his napkin and covered his mouth for a moment as he coughed. Then he removed the napkin and glowered at Gibbs, Fornell, and Thor. "Oh, thank you for your outstanding aid in saving my life," he said sarcastically.

Fornell shrugged. "That's not my job, Buttercup. That's Jethro's here. Don't choke on your oafmeal." Standing, the FBI agent looked at Gibbs. "I'll see you and your two knuckleheads tonight, Gibbs."

Both Loki and Thor shot equally angry looks at Fornell's retreating back. Gibbs continued with his oatmeal.

For a moment, Loki and Thor were quiet, both chewing on their breakfasts. Then Thor looked at his brother. "We're both eating the same breakfasts, which puts us on an equal level, brother. Which means if I'm an oaf, so are you."

"We've never been on an equal level, Thor," Loki said. "I've always been one step ahead of you."

"Like when I stopped you from destroying Jotunheim?" Thor shot back. "Or when I stopped you from taking over New York?"

Loki glowered at him unhappily as Thor shoveled in the rest of his breakfast and stood up. "All right, Agent Gibbs, I bid you –"

"You're not done here, Thor," Gibbs interrupted, taking a sip of his coffee. "You're staying until I authorize you to leave."

"Do I really need your permission to leave?" Thor asked.

Gibbs looked up at him, "Do you?"

"I am Thor –"

"God of thunder, prince of Asgard, yeah, we got it," Gibbs finished. "Right now, Twinkletoes, you want your brother reformed, you gotta put some effort into it. What, did you expect this to work like some sort of immortal finishing school?"

Thor didn't answer, just looked a little put out.

"I'm right here," Loki pointed out. "I can hear every word you say, clear as crystal."

Gibbs looked at him. "Good. Your hearing works." He drained the last of his coffee. "Let's go."

*****

The ride into the NCIS headquarters was a constant back and forth between the two brothers. Either Thor or Loki would insult the other, and the one insulted would have either a snappy comeback (Loki) or a slower, not as sarcastic one (Thor). It was an agony to Gibbs having to listen to the two of them.

Finally, they pulled into the NCIS parking lot and the gods followed Gibbs through security. Gibbs noticed that Loki very proudly flashed his badge at the gate while Thor had to be given visitor clearance. After that, he followed the other two into their office block.

Tony, McGhee, and Bishop were already in. Loki took a seat at his desk as Thor stood in the walkway.

"Where do I sit, Agent Gibbs?" Thor asked.

"DiNozzo, pull up a seat for our visiting god of thunder," Gibbs said. "Put it next to yours."

DiNozzo sighed audibly. "Really, Boss? Why can't he sit with McGhee?"

"Just do it!"

"All right," Tony said, heading off to get a chair. When he returned, he plopped the chair down. "Here you go, Thor."

Thor took a seat and grumpily rested his hammer on the ground.

"What do you got on the suspect?" Gibbs asked. "We lost a day on this case, thanks to Laufeyson here. We need to get caught up. What do you got?"

"A location on Daniel Diaz," Tony said. "We can bring him in for questioning."

"Good," Gibbs said. "DiNozzo, you, Bishop, and Laufeyson go bring him in."

"Really, Gibbs? Him?" Bishop said.

"Yes, him," Gibbs said. Loki stood and came around the desk. Gibbs stopped him. "I'm counting on you, Loki. Don't try anything."

"I won't, Agent Gibbs," Loki promised. "I swear on my mother's life that I will not betray you or your team." He then added, "And you can ask Thor just what that oath means."

"I hope it means a darn lot, Laufeyson, for if you break it, I will kill you."

"I won't break it," Loki said.

Gibbs reached into one of his desk drawers and drew out a two Asgardian daggers, the ones Thor had included in Loki's possessions. "Rule 9, Laufeyson: Always carry a knife."

Loki received the daggers almost reverently, hiding one in his sleeve and the other in his belt. Then he slowly and deliberately turned and met Tony's eyes. He grinned.

Tony paled.