Chapter 29

Breakfast was eaten early at Gibbs' house. After the attack by the mystery woman, nobody really felt like going back to sleep. So after going over all the details of the battle, they had their breakfast.

"Who could she be working for?" Fornell queried. "Do you think she has any connection to your current case?"

"And her rifle," Thor murmured. "I've only felt that resistance to Mjolnir one other time. Her rifle contains vibranium."

Loki inclined his head. "That bomb was powered by a Chitauri power core."

"A Marine sniper rifle," Gibbs mused.

Fornell glanced around the table. "A fair pair of agents and Asgardians we make," he said. "Beat up by a girl. What have we become?"

But Gibbs wasn't in the mood for joking around. It was only six o'clock when he stood and gestured to Loki. "Get ready to head to the Navy Yard, Laufeyson."

As Loki sheathed the new daggers Thor had provided him with, he saw Thor walk over to Gibbs. "Agent Gibbs," his brother began quietly. "What is your opinion of my brother's trustworthiness?"

Gibbs turned to Loki and the god of mischief glanced down. The former Marine then looked at Thor. "I trust him. Enough. You are dismissed, Thor."

Thor nodded. "Thank you, Agent Gibbs. I appreciate your efforts, I really do. But don't think I am leaving for good. I will be back."

"Yeah," Gibbs said. "To get your brother when he's ready."

Thor looked away into the distance. "I might be back before that."

And without any more explanation, the god of thunder tramped through the front door and twirled Mjolnir, propelling himself into the air with a boom.

The ride to NCIS was silent, both Loki and Gibbs running through the details of the battle in their minds, searching for some clue to this mystery woman. By the time they reached the Navy Yard, they were burning to get to work finding out this woman's identity.

Loki felt a strange pride as he flashed his badge at the entrance of the building, the sense of belonging that filled him making him light-headed. He shook his head as he and Gibbs stepped off the elevator and headed into the squad room.

They were early. Really early. Nobody else was in yet, so as Loki headed to the coffee cart, Gibbs settled in at his desk to get to work.

As Loki handed Gibbs a cup of coffee, the sound of a throat clearing behind him caused him to turn. Director Vance stood there, looking at Gibbs and Loki neutrally.

"Gibbs, Laufeyson," he greeted.

"Director Vance," Loki said smoothly. "How...pleasant...to finally meet you."

Vance shot a glance at Loki before directing his gaze back to Gibbs. "I need to see you in MTAC, Gibbs."

"Anything you need to say to me about this case can be said in front of Laufeyson," Gibbs said, not glancing up from his computer. "He's part of my team."

Vance glanced again at Loki, who just smiled. "I am aware of that, Gibbs," Vance replied. "But I really do need to see you in MTAC. Petty Officer Samson's CO wants to speak with you."

Gibbs sighed, stood up, and followed Vance upstairs. Watching from below, Loki saw them disappear through a door labeled MTAC.

He was by himself in the squad room.

Loki glanced around the desk space, enjoying that sense of belonging this place gave him. It was something he'd never felt back in Asgard. Agent Gibbs, DiNozzo, Abby, Ducky, and the others had all given him something that the parents who raised him never could.

Family.

The thought made Loki take a step back. Family. Within a few short days, the NCIS team meant to be a form of punishment to Loki had become family, whereas the Asgardians whom he had lived among for many years had always had the clinging sense of being foreign to the young god.

Funny, how life worked.

The elevator door dinged open and Loki glanced over to see a haggard DiNozzo walking towards the squad room. An idea wormed its way into Loki's head, and he grinned. He had the most perfect idea.

***********

Tony walked into the squad room, a cup of coffee in his hand. He stopped when he saw who appeared to be Agent Gibbs standing in the middle of the walkway, arms crossed over his chest, looking rather angry.

"Uh, hey, Boss," Tony greeted uncertainly, looking hesitant. "Have a nice drive into work?"

"You failed me, DiNozzo," 'Gibbs' said, Loki doing his best to select the right words to suit their boss. "Drinking on the job! You should've known better."

"I know, I know," Tony apologized. "I'm sorry, Boss. I didn't think one drink would knock me out!"

"You weren't thinking at all," Loki accused, striding forward. "That is clear, DiNozzo. We're on a case, a case that's dangerous. And I need your head in the game, not in a daze."

"Boss, it won't happen again," Tony promised.

"You're right about that," Loki agreed. "Because there isn't going to be a next time."

Tony's eyes widened in consternation as he realized the meaning of Loki's words. "Boss, you wouldn't –"

Someone cleared their throat behind DiNozzo and he turned around. Loki peered around him to see the real Agent Gibbs standing there, eyebrow lifted.

"Boss?" DiNozzo spluttered. He darted a glance back at Loki and then leaned against his desk. "What the –?"

The disguised Asgardian's form shimmered and Loki stood there, looking sheepish. "Agent Gibbs," he greeted. "DiNozzo."

DiNozzo fell onto the floor.

Gibbs strode forward without a word and slapped Loki in the back of the head. Loki grinned and eyed Gibbs apologetically. "A harmless trick?"

"Tell that to DiNozzo's cardiologist," Gibbs retorted, turning to Tony. The agent was on his feet now, eyes wide and hand over his heart.

"Gibbs...turned into Loki," he panted. "But it was Loki all along. How...in the heck...."

"You okay, DiNozzo?" Gibbs queried.

DiNozzo took a long, shaky sip of his coffee. "I will be," he said. "I think."

Gibbs slapped DiNozzo in the back of the head.

"Ow! What was that for?" DiNozzo demanded, rubbing the back of his head.

"For believing him," Gibbs answered. "Gear up. We got a crime scene."

"Where?" Loki asked.

"Leopard's trailer," Gibbs replied shortly. "The local police have been guarding the site, waiting for us. We need to go now."

Tony grabbed his backpack as Loki looked around. "What am I supposed to gear up with?" he asked.

Gibbs reached behind his desk, grasped the straps of a black backpack, and tossed it to Loki. "That's yours, now. And here." Gibbs slid into his chair and unlocked a drawer. Slowly opening it, he drew out a nine millimeter pistol.

"This is also yours," Gibbs said, handing the pistol carefully to Loki. "Welcome to the team."

The words sank into Loki as he gazed at the gun, knowing that the weapon symbolized something much more than another way to defend himself. It showed clearly the trust Gibbs had in him, showed the place on the team that was his. And the words, the words of welcome – although Loki had been on the team for several days already, the words displayed the official role he had there now. Loki was really an NCIS Special Agent. He was Special Agent Loki Laufeyson.

And he found it strange, that he realized he wanted this more than he had ever wanted the throne. Because he hadn't been looking for power. He'd been looking for acceptance. For belonging.

For family.

After a quick tutorial on how to use the gun, Gibbs turned to the newly arrived Bishop and McGhee. "Gear up. We've got a crime scene."