Chapter 34

The dark alleyway Clare Leopard had entered seemed to smother all light from the world. She preferred it this way. The darkness reminded her of her pledge to the Space Walker and the Order he belonged to.

Speaking of the Space Walker, here he was.

He floated on the air, circling down toward the ground like he was walking down a flight of spiral stairs. The Walker had always had a soft spot for theatrics. Leopard rolled her eyes. She hated unnecessary displays of power. Did she go around shooting blue lasers from her scepter at random? No. She did not.

But was she entitled to argue with the Walker? No. She was not.

When the Walker came to about a foot above the ground, he stopped his circling and floated there, hands tucked in the folds of his enveloping black cloak. His face was hidden by the hood of his cloak, Emperor Palpatine style.

Leopard clasped her hands around the scepter's shaft before her and waited impatiently for the Walker to speak. She knew better than to speak first. The last time she had done that, it had not ended so well for her.

Right on time, the scar in the middle of her back throbbed with a sudden pain.

"Your report," the Space Walker intoned. His voice vibrated. Of course, he had insisted on wearing that stupid helmet of his under the cloak.

"The deed is done," Leopard said in a submissive tone, trying to hide her annoyance. "The loose ends are tied up. NCIS will gain no more knowledge out of him."

"Killing Samson was a mistake," the Walker said disdainfully. "NCIS would never have gotten involved otherwise."

Leopard counted to five before responding. "He knew too much. Besides, he had just been chosen for that new assignment. That assignment is directly contrary to our goals. We couldn't afford that."

The Walker inclined his head. "Be that as it may, NCIS is now fully intent on tracing your whereabouts. And their newest special agent, the Asgardian prisoner, is dangerous to this operation. He also knows too much."

"I thought," Leopard put forward cautiously. "I thought that a chip or something was placed inside his head to manipulate him."

The Walker laughed softly. "Yes, there is a virus inside his head designed to torture him for his disobedience to him. But do not worry. Our trusty Sniper will soon take care of him and his boss."

Leopard sighed in relief, although she grew uneasy at the mention of the Sniper. The woman gave her the chills. "Good."

The Walker began to ascend upwards again, circling like he was climbing aforementioned spiral steps. "Enter through the hidden chamber, Leopard. Advantageous progress has been made on the Phenomenon at the Project, but they need your expertise to bring it up to fully functional speed. But your oversight must be from secret. NCIS must not be able to track you. They must not suspect the Lunar Project. Its termination cannot occur. Any investigation made into it must be stopped, immediately."

Leopard nodded briskly. "I understand. Is there anything else?"

The Walker looked up and away from Leopard. His hood shifted, allowing her to see the smallest portion of his face. She was surprised to see that he was human, not some bizarre alien as she would have expected. She could see a large scar that started at his chin and angled up. Then he shifted his head and his face disappeared in shadows.

"No," he said. "For now. You are dismissed."

Leopard turned to leave as the Walker added ominously, "But do not fail him, Leopard. You know the end destined for the last failure. Learn your lessons wisely."

Leopard swallowed, uncharacteristic fear rising inside her. If she failed.... No. One could not afford to think that way. She had no choice but to succeed.

If she didn't...well, she didn't want her fate to be the same as the one swiftly approaching for the Asgardian special agent known as Loki Laufeyson.

/**/

Sorry for the short chapter, but I decided to write from the villain's perspective for once. So, what did you think? Any theories yet?

And what do you think of the Space Walker? What do you think of his name? And the little bit of information concerning the Lunar Project?

Thanks for reading. Please, remember to vote, and comment what you think of the story! Thanks again!

Skylar Wittenborn