Chapter 8

Gibbs climbed the stairs up to Director Vance's office, taking them three at a time. Loki was safely locked in an interrogation room, watched by Bishop, Abby, and Ducky. Tony and McGhee were getting their bruises and minor wounds attended to by Jimmy.

Gibbs shoved open the door to Vance's office and drew his gun on the visitor called Nick Fury. "Why?" he demanded.

"Gibbs," Vance warned. "Don't shoot. I didn't request Fury's presence here so you could shoot him."

"Why?" Gibbs repeated, ignoring Vance. "You sent a psychopathic maniac to my team. Are you trying to bring us down?"

Fury looked calmly at the barrel of the pistol Gibbs was holding. "Gibbs, put that down."

"Answer me, Fury," Gibbs demanded. "You sent a war criminal, an Asgardian war criminal, for me to deal with when his own people wouldn't deal with him. Why? Why not just kill him?" In a steadier, but still angry, voice, he continued, "He attacked my team, Fury. I came in to find two of my prime agents on the ground, and the other holding a gun to his head."

"Do you even know what triggered the fight?" Fury asked, taking a seat. Gibbs, realizing that the gun wasn't scaring him, holstered it. Fury knew he wouldn't shoot.

"Bishop just said that they were having what sounded like a petty argument, and then Loki snapped. Punched DiNozzo so hard he was knocked to the ground. And when DiNozzo retaliated, Loki fought back hard, ultimately bringing both him and McGhee to the ground. Bishop then halted the fight by aiming her gun at his head. And that's when I came in."

Fury shrugged. "Look, I fought a war with this god."

"No," Gibbs said. "Your Avengers fought a war with this god. You sat back and watched."

Fury stood, anger twitching across his face. He had risen to the bait. "And you're with their team in every dangerous assignment?"

Gibbs smiled. "Everything they do is dangerous. But when my team is in danger, so am I."

Vance held up his hands. "The question is, Fury, what are we to do with Loki Laufeyson?"

Fury spread his hands. "Keep him. Gibbs signed the papers saying that he was assuming custody of him. And he doesn't leave until his brother feels confident enough to take him back to Asgard."

Vance gave Gibbs a warning look as the rage began to flash in the special agent's eyes. "And how are we supposed to deal with someone who's attacking our agents?"

Fury shrugged. "Shoot him. Lock him up. I don't care. He's not my problem anymore. As of today, Agent Gibbs, Loki of Asgard, who claims to be 'burdened with glorious purpose,' is officially your problem. Deal with him as you see fit."

Gibbs took a moment of silence to reign in his vicious temper. He decided he had nothing left to say to the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., so he turned and took his leave, without another word.

****

Gibbs opened the door to the interrogation room, where Loki sat at the table, alternating between looking up at the ceiling and grinning at the opaque observation panel before him. He obviously knew who was behind it.

A breath of wind touched Gibbs' back as he slipped through the door, leading him to frown, glance behind him, and then close the door.

"Laufeyson," he started, sitting down at the table. "Do you know why you're here?"

Loki shrugged, a huge smile crossing his face. "But am I really here, Agent Gibbs?"

Gibbs glanced up quickly as the grinning apparition spread his hands out and slowly dissolved into nothing, flickering transparent until there was nothing there. He jumped to his feet and spun around.

"Where'd he go?" he demanded.

Bishop's voice echoed over the intercom. "I don't know, Gibbs. He just...vanished."

"Like a ghost," Abby intoned mysteriously.

"Nobody just disappears!" Gibbs exclaimed. "I want you to find him. Immediately!"