Chapter 26

Loki tried to help McGhee find a lead - he really did, but mortal technology wasn't his strong spot, and when he queried the other agent about the secrets of the infernal computer, McGhee just muttered something about the supposedly advanced alien races and didn't offer any advice. Tony was still knocked out in his chair, so Loki decided to head down to Abby's lab to see what was taking the girls and Palmer so long.

As he exited the elevator on the garage floor, he almost ran into Palmer.

The autopsy assistant shied away from Loki, his glasses knocked askew, and hastily uttered an apology. "I-I'm sorry, Agent Laufeyson. I didn't mean to -"

Loki held up his hands in a pacifying gesture. "No harm done, Palmer."

Palmer still looked extremely nervous, like Loki would somehow pulverize him on the spot. "It-it won't happen again."

Loki regarded Palmer with raised eyebrows, wondering why he ever thought it would be fun to have mortals kneel before him and fear him. Palmer's wide eyes clearly portrayed his fear and the god of mischief found it actually annoying.

"Relax, Palmer," Loki said. "I'm not going to kill you. Not for bumping into me."

Palmer just nodded, still fearful, and scurried into the elevator. He didn't seem very confident without Ducky being nearby.

As he started to say, "Can you believe him?" to Bishop and Abby, Loki turned back to the lab. That's when he discovered that nobody but Bishop was there.

Silence settled on the lab as Bishop looked up and away from the god of mischief. Loki furrowed his brow as he wondered why she wouldn't look at him. Unlike Palmer, he sensed no fear in her; only a strange uneasiness.

"Where's Abby?" Loki finally asked, wishing to end the silence.

"She stepped out for a minute," Bishop replied, flicking her eyes his way. Averting her eyes, the agent went to step past Loki, but he prevented her from leaving by sticking his arm out.

"Wait," he said, his eyes pinning her down intensely. "Back in Asgard...that thing with Fandrul."

Bishop crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at the Asgardian. "About it?"

"I know how Fandrul acts," Loki fumbled, his words tripping over themselves as he struggled to figure out exactly what he was trying to say. "And...if he ever bothers you again...just tell me, and I will kill him. Or, use some other method to keep his hands off you."

Whatever Bishop had been prepared for Loki to say, it had not been this, apparently. Her jaw dropped and she stared at him in astonishment. Finally, after what seemed like ages but was probably only about a minute, she spoke. "Loki, you bother me more than he does."

Loki was taken aback by that statement, but he attempted to make light of it. "Well, I'm certainly not going to kill myself." Sobering, he studied her, trying to understand the strange disappointment welling up inside him. "Agent Bishop, why do you hate me?"

Bishop looked away. "I don't understand you."

"Nobody does," Loki muttered.

"First, you want me to hate you. Now, you want to know why I do. What's your game? What angle are you playing?"

"Bishop," Loki started. "Why?"

Bishop looked suddenly at him, her gaze intense. "You're a criminal," she stated flatly. "Okay? You came here with the sole intent of conquest. And now you expect the inhabitants of Earth to just welcome you with open arms? I don't know how many people you killed in your attempted takeover, but I know it was quite a bit. And if it wasn't for the Avengers, we'd all be your subjects right now. Hate doesn't express the depth of my feelings for you, Loki."

Shoving past him, Bishop marched into the elevator. Loki glanced over his shoulder to see her staring resolutely at the ceiling, refusing to meet his gaze again. The elevator doors slid closed, blocking her from view.

"Ouch," Abby said, coming around a corner into the lab. "I didn't know Bishop hated you that much."

"Neither did I," Loki replied, taking a deep breath. Changing the subject, he asked, "Do you have the soul forge all set up?"

Abby nodded. "It goes perfectly beside Major Mass-Spec."

Loki had no idea who or what that was, but he decided not to ask questions.

"As soon as Vance gives the all-clear or Gibbs decides it's time, we'll get that Trojan horse out of your head," she assured him. "And whoever did this will pay for trying this stunt."

Good luck with getting Thanos to pay.

A phone rang in the adjoining room. Abby slid across the floor, falling into the chair smoothly, and scooped up the receiver. "Hello?...Yes, he's with me. Okay, Gibbs, I'm sending him right up." Hanging up, the forensic scientist turned to Loki. "You're wanted upstairs. Gibbs is taking Tony home, and then he's turning in. You and Thor are supposed to go with him."

Loki nodded and headed for the elevator. As he stood waiting for it, Abby called over to him. "Don't worry, Loki, Bishop won't hate you forever."

"It is all right, Abby," Loki responded, stepping into the elevator. "I really do not care whether Agent Eleanor Bishop thinks kindly of me or not."

The whole ride up to the main floor, Loki tried to convince himself of that.

/***/

Thanks for reading! I hope you're enjoying the story so far! Votes and comments are really appreciated :)

So...anyone remember the veteran from last chapter? Congratulations to Kailucy for correctly guessing that the veteran was Stan Lee!

Don't forget to leave your thoughts on the story in a comment, so I can know how you guys are enjoying it.

Have a good day!

Skylar Wittenborn