Endscene 2

"Night," Bishop called as she grabbed her bag and stepped out from behind her desk. "See you guys tomorrow."

"Right behind you," McGhee said. "You thinking burgers?"

"No, but it's a good thought."

"Tony?"

DiNozzo glanced up at them. "What?"

"You in?" McGhee asked.

"Yeah," DiNozzo told him. "Just give me a second to finish up this...report."

McGhee frowned. "You still working on the Samson case report?"

DiNozzo glanced at his computer monitor, which only showed his screensaver, and nodded. "Yeah, McGeek. Because one doesn't just write out a casual report when you're dealing with S.H.I.E.L.D."

McGhee and Bishop exchanged a glance. "Is Vance sending a copy of your report to Fury?"

DiNozzo spread his hands. "Yes, ol' One Eye will be reading my report. So I've needed to put much care into writing this. I'll meet up with you guys in a minute. Just text me where you end up."

The two agents nodded and walked towards the elevator as DiNozzo pretended to type. As soon as the doors closed behind them, he leapt out of his seat and walked carefully over to Loki's empty desk.

Nothing had been touched in the Asgardian's space; it had been agreed that the desk would remain where it was since Loki would eventually return. Even's Loki's – DiNozzo's – NCIS hat still perched by the keyboard.

Fortunately, the god of mischief had left it behind when he returned to Asgard.

Plucking the cap up off the desk, Tony settled it on his head with a grin. Man, did he love his hats. So much so that years ago, when Tony and Kate were training for how to shoot at someone who was holding a human shield, Gibbs had taped his hat to the target to help improve his aim.

Ziva had asked, about a year or so later, why there was a bullet hole through the brim of the hat.

Who did McGhee think he was, giving DiNozzo's hat to Loki? But never mind that. Tony's hat was back on his head, right where it belonged.

"That's right, baby," Tony whispered. "You're back, safe and sound on a non-crazy human's head again."

"You okay, DiNozzo?"

Tony felt the blood drain from his face. "I thought you'd left already, Boss."

"Nope, but I'm leaving now." Gibbs was grinning lopsidedly as he continued towards the elevator. "Coming, DiNozzo?"

"Yeah, Boss," the agent said, grabbing his pack from behind his desk. "I'm coming."

As the elevator doors opened, Gibbs stepped in. "Next time, Tony, make sure you don't identify Stark as 'Ironsides' in your official NCIS report."

DiNozzo's eyes widened as he jumped in after the former Marine. "I thought I'd changed that. Sorry, Boss, won't happen again."

Gibbs didn't say anything; but he did grin.

Loki and the NCIS team will return in

THE DARK SOLDIER