Chapter 15

"So, she shot you with blue laser beams?" Abby asked curiously, carefully wiping away the blood on Loki's cheek.

Tony nodded from where he lay on the autopsy table, Ducky washing his knife wound. "Yeah. Blue energy. From a stone set in a scepter. Apparently, it used to belong to Loki."

Bishop nodded from where she leaned on the door. "Incinerated the whole back of the trailer."

Abby's eyes widened and she looked at Loki. "You have such cool toys. You'll have to show me if you ever get it back."

Loki smiled. "It's a date, Abby." He closed his eyes as her gentle touch continued to clean his wound. Bishop rolled her eyes and looked away from the scene.

"So, Loki saved Agents DiNozzo and Bishop?" Jimmy asked, entering with a crutch under one arm. "I got the crutch as requested, Doctor."

"Thank you, Mr. Palmer," Ducky said as Tony gingerly sat up, wincing. "Now, will you drive Agent DiNozzo to the hospital to have his leg stitched up? I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it."

"I'll be fine," Tony hissed, swinging his legs over the side of the table. "I survived pneumonic plague, Ducky, a little leg wound won't hurt me none."

"Nonsense, Tony, Mr. Palmer would be more than happy to drive you to the hospital," Ducky insisted, taking the crutch from Jimmy and handing it to Tony. "Now, the two of you get going. Miss Scioto, how are you doing on Agent Laufeyson's cut?"

"Oh, he cleans up real nicely, Ducky," Abby said. "I mean, his wound does."

Ducky walked over to her side and examined her work. "Excellent work, Abby. Now, perhaps I should send you with Tony to the hospital to get that stitched up as well."

Loki shook his head. "I'll be fine, Ducky. If you want to stitch it up, do it here."

Ducky looked uncertainly at the god of mischief. "Are you sure, Loki?"

"I am sure," Loki assured him. "I can take pain."

"All right, Loki, let me get some tools. Take a seat on the autopsy table. And Abby, if you have the time, I'd highly appreciate it if you stayed to lend some aid."

"Sure, Ducky," Abby said as the medical examiner walked to where his tools were stored. "Anything for the new guy."

Bishop shook her head and left the autopsy room.

Loki watched her go. "Is something wrong with Bishop? She seems to despise me."

Abby followed his gaze as the blonde agent waited for the elevator. "Bishop's usually pretty friendly. But you did come with a warning label, so maybe that's it." She patted him lightly on the shoulder. "Don't worry, she'll come around."

"I have another question," Loki asked, raising his voice, as Ducky returned with a tray of tools. "Why do they call you Ducky?"

"My name is Dr. Mallard," Ducky explained, setting the tray down beside Loki. "Lie down, Agent Laufeyson." As Loki complied, the doctor continued, "It became a joke to call me Ducky, a nickname that I have grown quite fond of."

Loki's eyes followed Ducky's fingers as they threaded a sterilized needle. Abby squeezed his hand as she stepped up to Ducky's side. "You'll be fine, Loki. Don't worry."

Loki smiled and returned Abby's squeeze. "I'm not worried, Abby. I'm used to pain." He closed his eyes as Ducky sponged the wound with antiseptic.

The wound stung slightly from the cleaning fluid, but Loki accepted the pain. And his mind went back to the words that had echoed in his mind after their encounter with Samson's girlfriend. Thanos' words.