chapter 1

It was only late in the afternoon when the usual feeling of pure emptiness from the day before engulfed her again. She sighed to herself, staring straight up at the ceiling with a blank expression. Her mind was blank, no thoughts coming in to occupy her at all, and every inch of her body suddenly became numb.

This was normal to her, and always has been normal for a year. Despite not being able to feel a thing, she remembered the time of the day and waited slightly impatiently as the time flew by. She just wanted to go to the beach nearby to watch the sun slowly set into the horizon of the ocean. She always thought it was a beautiful view, making it slowly calm her down each time. To others, they never understood why this was the case. If she had to be honest, she didn't either. But she enjoyed every moment of it.

It took every inch of energy in her numb body to move and reach for her phone just to check when she's able to go to the beach again. Her parents were fully aware of her situation, and sometimes tried to stop her from leaving the house, but she'd always win the argument. It took a while before they realized there was no use for them to try and fight their daughter on this.

The device came to life when she pressed the power button on the side. The brightness caused her to squint, muttering a quiet "fuck" as she did so. It was nearly seven thirty, which was perfect.

Slowly, with as much effort as possible, she pushed herself up and rested on her elbows, checking out her bedroom. It was a lot cleaner than it had ever been lately, considering the major breakdowns she's been having. The thought caused shivers to run down her spine. She had to remind herself a few times not to think about any of it.

Once she felt the floor on her feet, she stood up and sighed quietly, making her way over to where her shoes were, which were by her closet. She grabbed her maroon pair of converse and walked back to her bed. The softness of her mattress and blanket had eased her heart softly. When she finished tying her shoes, she grabbed her phone before getting up and walking over to her drawer to grab her house key and put it around her neck.

Before completely exiting her bedroom, she looked left and right in the hallway. She wanted to make sure nobody was there. Luckily for her, everyone seemed to be in their bedrooms. The thought of even speaking to her family members made her uncomfortable, which motivated her to exit the house sooner. She made her way down the stairs as quietly as possible and rushed to the front door.

Someone behind her cleared their throat as she fumbled with the door lock, causing her to stop what she was doing. She bit her lip softly, waiting for whoever was behind her to speak up.

"Where do you think you're going, young lady?" The person asked, their voice deep. Immediately, she realized it was her father. Slowly, she turned around to face him. If she were asked, she would say he didn't scare her. But deep down, she was terrified. She couldn't be blamed, though.

Her father was a tall, muscular man who had an intimidating appearance. Yes, he never caused any physical harm onto anyone who is in his life or comes across him, but when he was mad, he'll make whoever made his blood boil regret it with his words. She's witnessed this a few times growing up, which soon ended up with her being terrified of making her own father mad.

"Beach, as always," she responded softly. Her stomach was jumping every second that passed as the conversation carried on. The look on her father's face was hard; eyebrows furrowed, lips in a straight, thin line. "I need this."

"You can't just always leave and expect your mother and I to be okay with it, you know," he said, his voice low. It was clear that he was having a bad day, so she had to choose her words carefully. Hearing his voice like this was all too familiar to her.