chapter 11

Mitchel's heart raced as he made his way into the coffee shop, feeling bad for making Reese wait a while. He sucked in a breath as soon as he scanned the area for the brunette. Immediately, he spotted her by herself, staring at her phone screen as if her head was occupied with thoughts. Slowly, the braided boy approached her and sighed to himself, already feeling heavy regret rush through him from the expression she had.

Reese looked up immediately once she saw someone in her vision. Her eyebrows were furrowed, her lips in a thin, straight line. Once she realized it was Mitchel, her eyebrows drew back, and a soft smile curved her lips. Despite her slight disappointment at how delayed his arrival was, she was just glad he didn't bail on her.

"Oh, hi," Reese started, her voice slightly quiet. "Good to see you."

"I'm so sorry," Mitchel said quickly in response. He took a seat across from her and sighed, resting his head against his palm. "I got caught up with something."

"Don't sweat it," she replied, avoiding eye contact for a brief moment.

"Are you hungry?" The braided boy asked. "You must be really hungry. I made you wait. Fuck, I'm sorry."

"Mitchel," Reese laughed. "Calm down. You didn't hurt anybody. It's okay."

"I know I just-"

"Trust me," Reese interrupted. "I'm fine, it's fine. You're fine."

"Okay, alright," Mitchel replied in defeat. A moment of silence fell between the two before they decided to go order together.

"So, what do you plan on getting?"

"Maybe just some coffee," Mitchel shrugged as he stared up at the menu, contemplating on getting a pastry or not. Once they got to the counter, Mitchel spoke up. The cashier took his order and asked what Reese wanted.

"Can I get a frappuccino and a cake pop, please?" She said. The cashier nodded and began tapping on the screen. Mitchel got his wallet ready and handed her the money once she told him the total. Once the order was completed, they stepped aside to let the next person take their order.

Reese sighed in satisfaction as she looked around the shop. "I like it here. You've got taste, braid boy." Mitchel smiled as he let out a soft chuckle at the nickname. He suddenly got flashbacks to when Reese called him "braid boy" at Nate's house.

"Thanks," he replied after a moment. "This used to be my go to."

"Your go to? For what?" Reese asked, tilting her head to the side slightly as she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Mitchel made eye contact and nodded before opening his mouth to speak.

"I used to always come here with my family, or even by myself when I needed time alone," he explained, scanning the area once more as he recalled some memories he's had there. "It has this comforting atmosphere, you know?"

"Yeah," Reese nodded. "It really does." Mitchel smiled at her, observing her for a moment.

"It's kind of my second home in a way," he added. Reese began to study his features for a slight moment after Mitchel's eyes traveled elsewhere. The cashier walked up the counter with their drinks after a while and set it down. The two reached for their drinks as she walked away to get the cake pop Reese wanted. Once they both got what they ordered, they made their way back to the table.

"So," Reese started as she got seated. She made eye contact with Mitchel and smiled lightly, feeling anxious inside as she tried to think of what to talk about. "How's everything, I guess?"

"Alright," Mitchel responded, taking a sip of his coffee. "You?"

"Same."

The silence between them that fell afterward was starting to irritate Mitchel. He hated that they couldn't properly talk to one another. A heavy sigh left his lips as he looked right at Reese, deciding he should finally do what he can to get to know her and make it as comfortable as possible.

"Okay, let's just cut the bullshit," he said suddenly, catching Reese by surprise. "I don't get why it's so awkward... well, never mind. I do. But that's not the point. Anyway, Reese, I'm sorry for what I said at the party. I didn't mean any of it. I know we aren't exactly friends, and we aren't exactly strangers either, but I want to change that. I want us to be friends, okay?" Mitchel then observed Reese's actions after letting it all out. He felt as if a ton of weight has been lifted off his chest.

It took a moment for Reese to respond. She was caught by surprise. When she looked at Mitchel, she saw a hint of both relief and anxiousness in his eyes. The brunette's lips parted slightly as if she was about to say something, but the words jumbled up in her mind. She didn't really know what to do.

"You want to be friends with... me?" She asked, pointing at herself as Mitchel's words replayed in her head. For some reason, she felt a lump begin to form in her throat. She was unsure if she should be happy or not. It's been far too long since she last had a friend by her side. The thought of being friends with someone felt somewhat foreign to the brown eyed girl.

"Yes, I do," Mitchel nodded once. "You seem like a really cool person to have around."

Reese's eyes began to get blurry as she look right at Mitchel. She forced herself to calm down and look somewhere else. Mitchel's eyebrows furrowed slightly as he noticed her expression looking like she was about to cry. He was about to speak up and ask if she was okay, if it was anything he said, but she let out a laugh. The laugh kind of sounded like she was... happy.

"Thank you," she smiled, her voice quivering slightly as tears started to run down her face. "It means a lot to me." The Australian boy smiled softly back at her.

"Of course. I really do want to be friends with you," he said. "I hope we can be."

Reese nodded and smiled as she sniffled. "I'm down for it."