chapter 31

"Where were you two?" Luke asked as soon as he was near his sister and Mitchel. "Mom and dad have been looking for you."

"We were, um, outside," Reese replied.

"Outside?" Her younger brother asked. "Doing what?"

"Eating," Mitchel nodded. Luke stayed quiet for a moment before shrugging. The braided boy decided to switch the main focus from him and Reese to Luke. "Where's your date?"

"She went to get some drinks," he explained. "I told her to meet me by the bathrooms. Which, now that I mention it, I should probably get going." Mitchel and Reese laughed as Luke ran the opposite direction. The small girl looked at the braided boy, a happy smile plastered on her face. It was clear to the braided boy that he made her happy with the kiss. He couldn't lie, it did make him happy too. All he was able to think about was his feelings for the brunette. They were strong, but he didn't want to just jump into a relationship. After all, he wasn't sure if she, let alone he, was ready for it.

"You want any desert?" Reese asked, raising her eyebrows. Mitchel shook his head no and continued to eye her as she looked around the room for her parents.

Once she spotted them, the smile on her face slightly faltered. She remembered how her mother reacted earlier into the night. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she built the courage to go up to them. Right as she was about to begin walking, Mitchel's grip stopped her. Reese's eyes shifted their attention down to where she felt Mitchel holding onto her. He had his hand softly wrapped around her wrist in attempt to stop her in her tracks. The braided boy immediately noticed her looking down at the sudden action questioningly.

"You don't have to go up to them right now," he commented, letting her wrist go from his grip.

"I know," the brown eyed girl nodded, smiling lightly. "I just want to."

"Well, can I come with?"

"Of course," Reese laughed, making it her turn to grab Mitchel's wrist and drag him along with her toward her parents.

As the two pushed past people to get to the brunette's parents, Mitchel felt himself starting to regret the decision to come along. He remembered how her mother acted while he was there, his heart dropping down to his stomach. He almost pulled away from Reese's grasp and turn the other way with a lame excuse. However, he didn't. For some reason, he let her pull him toward them.

"Reese, honey," her father said with a smile. "Do you remember Robert's niece?"

"I think I do," Reese shrugged. "Why?"

"He just told me she was here. I want you two to talk. Last time you seen her was a long time ago," he explained. Reese rolled her eyes and her grip on Mitchel's wrist tightened for a moment before relaxing. He was able to take that as a signal that she didn't want to do it.

"Do I have to?" She asked.

"You do," her mother jumped in. "It's been a while. Don't you want to talk to her?" It wasn't long before her eyes shifted down onto her daughter's hand gripping the braided boy's wrist. Just then her mood shifted immediately. Noticing this, Mitchel pulled his hand back and shoved it in his pocket.

"Fine," Reese sighed. "Mom, can I talk to you first, though? Just us two."

"Sure, honey," the older woman said slowly, attempting to avoid looking at her daughter's date. They both excused themselves from the rest of the family and walked away.

Once they were far enough, Reese turned to face her mother and sighed deeply with her eyebrows furrowed. "Mom, what's with you acting so weird around Mitchel?"