chapter 19

"Hello?" Reese said, tiredness lingering in her voice. It was five minutes past two, after all.

"Shit," Mitchel whispered. "Did I wake you?"

"No, no," the brunette replied, slightly slurring her words from her exhaustion. "It's fine."

"I'm so sorry. I just didn't have anyone else to call and-"

"Mitchel, it's okay. I promise," Reese interrupted, chuckling afterward. She had to admit, she was exhausted. The one time she was finally able to sleep in peace, it had to get disrupted. However, she didn't mind it if Mitchel was the one doing it.

"Okay," he sighed, still feeling extremely guilty. A heavy breath left Reese's lips, making it the only sound that was made during the call. Mitchel wanted – no, needed – a distraction. His brain wouldn't let him sleep whatsoever from his hibernation and what had happened hours earlier.

"What's up?" The small girl mumbled, her eyes not even open.

"I just needed company, I guess," Mitchel winced, scratching his arm with his free hand. A moment of silence fell between the two, making the boy question if doing this was a good idea.

"I'm here," Reese said suddenly, jolting awake and taking a deep breath right after. "I'm here."

"Are you okay?" He asked, noticing the girl's sudden energy.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't worry about me," a quiet laugh escaped the girl's lips.

"Alright."

"Do you just want to sleep on this call?" Reese asked, realizing she couldn't fight sleep any longer. She needed it. Mitchel thought for a moment before deciding it sounded like a good idea. Maybe he'll be able to actually catch some rest.

"Yeah, why not," the braided boy replied, shrugging softly even though Reese couldn't see him. "Do you want to?" The girl hummed in response, too tired to even say a word. Hearing her hum made Mitchel chuckle before deciding that the decision was final. After a while of making sure Reese was asleep, he shut his eyes as well and fell into a deep sleep with the comfort of having company, even through a call.

***

Reese opened her eyes and squinted immediately. She was greeted by the bright light coming from her window taking over her vision. Confusion rushed through her for a few seconds when she didn't realize she fell asleep. One of her headphone pieces fell out of her ear, making her wonder why she had it on. The girl picked up her phone and saw that she was still in a call with Mitchel. Her eyes widened slightly when she saw the time still going up.

09:37:40.

The brunette heard a loud shuffle coming from the other end, causing her to put herself on mute and hold her breath. She bit her lip softly, wanting to let out a noise. All she heard was a deep sigh. For a moment, she thought about ending the call so she could let the braided boy rest peacefully, but she also wanted to stay on it. After about a minute or two of deep thinking, she finally decided to keep it going.

It made her shake her head once she realized how they ended up in the situation. She began to recall what happened, remembering that she she was really tired to the point where she suggested falling asleep on the call. Reese furrowed her eyebrows and remembered Mitchel called her but never explained other than the fact that he needed company.

Deciding to get some food, considering the fact that it was already eleven in the morning, Reese sat up and sighed. She unplugged her phone and put it in her pajama's pocket before getting up. Her feet were dragged across the floor tiredly. As usual, once she opened the door, Reese was able to hear voices from what she assumed was the TV. This gave her the hint that everyone was downstairs.

Another voice was heard coming from Mitchel's end of the call, catching Reese's attention immediately. Their voice sounded a little lower than Mitchel's.

"Wake up," they said, sounding slightly muffled. "We've got a busy day today." Mitchel groaned in response. Reese chuckled softly, understanding the braided boy.

"Why?" He asked in a whiny voice, only to receive a deep sigh in return. Seconds of silence followed before a door was heard creaking. Reese had a feeling Mitchel was going to check his phone. "Oh, what the fuck. Reese, are you here?"

Reese quickly took out her phone and turned off mute. "Yeah, I'm here."

"Shit it completely slipped my mind that we slept on a call," he sighed, making Reese laugh quietly.

"It's okay," she smiled, even if he couldn't see her. "Hey, I'll call you back later. I'm about to get some food."

"Okay, talk to you then."

[ a/n ]: yes, this chapter is a filler, and yes, it's really short compared to all the other ones. promise things will escalate from here reaaaaal soon, though! ;)