chapter 41

The small girl leaned her head against her boyfriend's chest as they sat on the sand, watching the moon shine above them and the dark blue water that was softly washing up against the sand and their feet. Neither of them said a word to one another, feeling a sense of comfort rush through them while being close.

It's been a long day for the both of them. Mitchel having to work on stuff for their next tour as well as their album, and Reese applying for different jobs that are close by. Being together and in each other's arms is exactly what they both needed after it all.

After a few more minutes of just sitting there, Mitchel sighed lightly, his chest rising and falling. Reese lifted her head up from against his chest and looked up at him, softly smiling as she admired his features.

"What?" Mitchel asked, not being able to help but smile back at her. "Is there something on my face?" He added, causing her to immediately shake her head no and chuckle.

"No, no," she giggled, letting out a breath.

"Then what is it?"

Reese looked down for a moment. "It just hit me that things are completely different now from a year ago," she laughed to herself. "It's crazy."

"I know the feel," the braided boy sighed contently, looking back up at the moon. "It's a good kind of different now, though, right?" Reese quietly responded with an "mhm."

"More than good," she smiled contently, her heart bursting slightly out of happiness. "You're what makes it that way." The Australian felt his cheeks heat up softly at the comment Reese made. He took that as an opportunity to rub her arm comfortingly and kiss the top of her head. "Thank you, Mitchel. For everything these last few months."

***

"I'll see you tomorrow," Mitchel smiled, leaning in and kissing Reese on the lips and caressing her cheek with his thumb. "Sleep well, okay?"

"I'll try, and you too," the small girl responded, nodding once. Her lips formed a soft smile in return to her boyfriend's. "I love you."

"I love you too," the Australian responded. They were soon interrupted by the front door swinging open only for them to be greeted by Reese's father.

"Reese, thank God you're home," he sighed in relief. His eyes immediately shifted toward Mitchel who was standing right next to Reese. "Mitchel, how are you?"

"I'm good, thank you," the braided boy smiled politely. "Yourself?"

"Good as well," the older man nodded and smiled back. He turned his attention back to his daughter and sighed once more. "Your brother locked himself in his room and refuses to talk to your mother and I."

"Why?" Reese asked, the smile that was once present dropping slowly. "Is everything alright?"

"Doesn't seem like it," her father shook his head softly. "You're the only one he'd probably listen to." The small girl sighed and looked down at the ground before making eye contact with Mitchel.

"I'll be inside in a bit, dad. Give us a moment," she said. Her father nodded and closed the door almost entirely, leaving a small crack open. "I'll text you and call you later tonight if you're still up."

Mitchel nodded his head and smiled, letting out a soft breath. "Just let me know, I'll stay up for you. And I hope everything's alright with your brother."