chapter 23

"Are you insane?! You don't even know these people! And you're going to their house?! Who knows what the fuck could have happened to you!"

"Honey, don't do th-"

"No, don't you dare say anything. This girl could have been in some deep shit!"

Reese sat there on the couch, looking down at her lap as she toyed with the hem of her shirt. All she could really do was listen to her mother yell at her and hold back her tears. She was able to see her brother sitting at the bottom of the stairs from the corner of her eye. The small girl was struggling to keep her composure as a lump began to grow in her throat.

"I get that, but-"

The brown eyed girl let out a soft sniffle, catching her father's attention. She sneaked a quick glance up at him, noticing that he stopped talking. He gave her a sympathetic look, feeling bad for his daughter.

"Look at her," her mother said, scoffing. It was as if she was trying to contain her anger. "Something could have happened."

As much as Reese wanted to snap at her, she managed to hold her tongue and stop herself from adding more fuel to the fire. She didn't want to make it any worse than it already was. Luke sighed loudly, getting up from his spot on the steps, making his way over to the rest of the family.

"Mom, I really think you should give her a break," Luke said. "She was just with some friends. It's no big deal."

"Friends?" Their mother raised her eyebrows, questioningly. "She doesn't know who they are."

"That's the point. She's making friends. Isn't this what you wanted?" The younger boy crossed his arms, his eyes looking bored. "Besides, she's almost twenty. You're treating her like a damn child. Cut her some slack." Instead of responding to her son, the older woman just sighed and eyed Reese for a moment. Without another word, she marched up to her bedroom, shutting the door. Luke scoffed to himself. "For someone older, she's being really childish right now."

Their father let out a soft chuckle, not being able to help the fact that he agreed with his son. He made his way over to his daughter and sat next to her, wrapping an arm around her and comforting her as best as he could.

"I'm going to go talk to your mother," he said, sighing softly. "You two should go get some sleep. It's late. And, Reese, don't stress about her, okay? I think it's great that you're making friends." A soft but sad smile appeared on Reese's face while she continued to toy with her shirt. She didn't want to look at her father.

He stood up without another word and made his way upstairs, closing the bedroom door softly. Reese and Luke were left downstairs. The small girl still couldn't bring herself to look up.

"You okay?" Luke asked, breaking the silence. He felt bad for Reese, and seeing her like this made his heart drop. The older girl simply shook her head, unable to speak. He sighed and took a seat next to her. "I'm sorry mom said those things. You didn't deserve it."

"Maybe I do," Reese whispered, her voice quivering slightly.

"No, you don't," the boy said softly, shaking his head. "Mom's just on edge. She's been extremely worried about you since earlier. She just doesn't want anything to happen to you. She cares."

"She hates me," the small girl said quietly, her thoughts getting to her. She wanted to scream, to just cry. But she didn't want her brother to see her in such state. "I'm a burden to you guys."

"No don't say that," Luke said, his voice suddenly rising slightly. "You're not a burden."

Reese said nothing more, instead she shook her head and scoffed. Without another word, she got up and quickly rushed up to her room, leaving Luke downstairs. He called for her, trying to stop his sister from leaving the room, but it was no use. The boy plopped himself back down on the couch.