chapter 24

"You can get ready for bed. I'll be right back," Mitchel announced before making his way out of the room. Reese walked over to the bathroom with her backpack over her shoulder, closing the door once she got inside. She observed the room. It was spacious and neat, making the small girl smile to herself. Her sleepiness was starting to take over, so she quickly changed out of her clothes and into something more comfortable.

The bedroom door opened and Reese could tell Mitchel was back. She finished brushing her hair and looked at her eyes, noticing them about to drop. All she did was sigh and shake her head, realizing how gross she must've looked to Mitchel.

She walked out and saw Mitchel sitting at his desk, scrolling through his phone. The last time she'd seen him, which was a few minutes ago, he had a shirt on. Noticing this, she tried her best not to stare. Once he heard the bathroom door open up, his eyes shifted over to her, making a soft smile form on his lips.

"You ready for bed?" He asked her, standing up. Reese looking around the room, not meeting Mitchel's eyes. She nodded softly instead of saying another word. The braided boy took that as a sign to grab two pillows from one side of the bed. To Reese's confusion, she just observed his actions to see what he was up to. He walked over to his desk to grab the two blankets that were neatly folded on top of it.

"Where'd those come from?" Reese asked, referring to the blankets.

"Oh, I took these from Pat's room," Mitchel explained, patting the top of the blankets. "And yes, I am sleeping on the floor. I don't want you to be uncomfortable with me sleeping on the same bed as you." He added, knowing what Reese was thinking.

Almost immediately, the brown eyed girl felt a wave of guilt rush through her. She felt bad for having to have Mitchel sleep on the floor while she was on the bed.

"Wait, what?" She asked. "But this is your bed. You should be on it."

"It's okay," Mitchel chuckled. "Stay there. I'll be fine down here."

"But Mitchel," Reese whined, a soft frown on her face. "I feel bad."

"Don't feel bad," he laughed. "I promise, it's fine."

Deciding there was no point in arguing, and because sleepiness was taking over her like crazy, she sighed. Mitchel turned off the lights once she got settled and got down on the floor where his pillow and blankets were. He couldn't help but replay the way Reese frowned in his mind. If he had to admit it, he'd say it was pretty cute.

"Goodnight," Reese said, being greeted with darkness. "And thank you, Mitchel. I don't know what I would've done."

"Goodnight," Mitchel replied, smiling softly. "I'm here for you, okay? If you want to talk about anything, feel free to come to me."

Reese felt her lips curl into a soft smile as her eyes slowly fell. "I appreciate it." With that, the girl drifted off into a deep, peaceful slumber.

Mitchel, on the other hand, stayed awake for a few more minutes, staring at the ceiling. He questioned why Reese was crying. He replayed the look she had on her face when she arrived back at his house not even an hour later. Once the image flashed into his head, he felt his heart drop. He hated seeing her that way, it made him feel sick to his stomach.

When they were seated on the couch, he was tempted to ask why she was crying. However, he held himself back knowing he knew better than to be pushy. If she wanted to talk about it, she will.

It took a while before the braided boy finally felt his eyes grow heavy, but he welcomed the feeling and gave in almost immediately, letting sleep take over him as well.