chapter 14

The loud ring of Reese's phone made her jump slightly, catching her attention. Her eyes shifted from staring at her drawer to her phone screen, seeing that it was Mitchel. A wave of relief washed through her as she saw his name pop up. They had been talking a lot since yesterday and even struggled to get the other to go to sleep before they agreed on going to bed together. The thought made the brunette chuckle softly. She quickly picked up her phone and tapped on the green button.

"Hey," she said, biting her lip nervously. There was an unsettling feeling in Reese's chest, making her heart pound harshly.

"Morning!" Mitchel said enthusiastically on the other end of the call. "How's it going?"

"Going alright, I guess," the brunette sighed.

"Awh no," the braided boy sighed softly, calming down from being too happy. "What's wrong?"

"Just have to go out with my family is all," Reese chuckled softly, toying with the hem of her t-shirt.

"What's wrong with being with family?" He asked, confusion lingering in his voice. Reese could tell he had his eyebrows furrowed as he asked. She let out a soft breath before speaking up.

"I just really wanted to stay in today. But nope, they had other plans," the girl rolled her eyes, recalling what had happened moments ago downstairs.

"Maybe it'll turn out a lot better than you think," Mitchel said, attempting to reason with her.

"I'd hope so."

"Hey," Mitchel paused, shuffling around on his bed before continuing. "If it turns out good, let me know. If it turns out bad, let me know as well. I'll be here if you need anything." Something about Mitchel's words brought comfort to Reese, slowly soothing the uncomfortable feeling in her chest.

"Thank you," she said with a soft smile. She took his words to heart and reminded herself to talk to him about it when she got home. "I really need that."

"That's what I'm here for," the Australian chuckled. After talking on the phone for more than fifteen minutes, someone knocked on Reese's bedroom door, opening it slightly. Her mother poked her head through the small crack.

"You should start getting ready," she said in a suggestive tone. "We're leaving soon." Reese didn't respond. Instead, she nodded her head.

"Well," the brown eyed girl sighed. "Looks like I have to go."

"Good luck," Mitchel said, feeling bad for Reese. "Once again, I'll be here if you need anything. Don't hesitate to call me or something if you want to talk."

"I appreciate it, Mitchel," Reese smiled. "I really do. And the same goes for you."

"Thanks," he said, a smile creeping on his lips. "Now go have fun."

"I'll try."

***

The four of them began to make their way into a fancy looking restaurant that was recommended by a family friend. Reese and Luke observed the place in awe, surprised at how neat and clean it looked. The walls were painted a light yellow with plants hanging from the corners of the room. It was a nice touch and gave the restaurant a calming appearance.

The older man talked to the waiter, telling him about their reservation. The young looking waiter scanned the list on his screen and smiled, leading the family to a booth in the back corner of the restaurant. It was a peaceful section that was a lot quieter than the rest of the area.

"My name is Harley and I'll be your waiter this afternoon," he explained, pulling out his little notepad once they were all seated. "What would you like for drinks?"