chapter 37

"Clinton wouldn't do that," Mitchel said. "He doesn't even fucking like you."

"Oh, but he did. I'm right here, am I not?"

"For all we know, you could've just invited yourself. You knew today was my birthday," the braided boy quickly spoke, refusing to believe the revelation. "You want to ruin tonight for me."

"Mitchel, baby–"

"Don't fucking call him that."

Valentina's attention shifted over to Reese, her eyebrows raised slightly. "And what's stopping me?"

"Me," the brunette responded, her chest puffing in and out in anger. "Why don't you just fucking leave?"

"I'm perfectly fine right here," Valentina smiled a childlike smile, looking down at the spot that she was standing at. "And besides, what are you doing here?"

"I was invited," Reese replied. "Unlike you, I'm actually wanted here." Mitchel shook his head and scoffed as he processed what he was told. He pushed past his ex and made his way back inside the house. Reese looked at Valentina, shooting her a glare, before running after Mitchel and calling his name.

He searched around the whole house for his brother. He didn't understand why he would do such thing especially on his birthday. All Mitchel wanted was for the day to go smoothly. He just wanted to spend the day with those that mattered to him, not for his ex to show up. The braided boy barged into the kitchen and looked around the room, seeing the rest of the band there along with his parents.

"Where's Clinton?" He asked, forcing himself to be calm while he eyed everyone in the room. They looked at him in confusion, noticing his mood.

"He just went upstairs–" Jesse didn't have a chance to finish his sentence before Mitchel dashed out, running up the stairs. Once he got to the top, he started checking the rooms and, luckily for him, he found Clinton in his room. The older Cave brother's head snapped up from his phone once he heard his door swing open.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Mitchel yelled immediately. Clinton raised his eyebrows at him, his eyes looking as bored as ever. "Did you really invite Valentina?!" A smirk began to form on Clinton's face. He didn't answer. "Clinton I'm fucking talking to you. What the hell is your issue? Why did you invite her?"

"What do you want me to say, Mitty?"

"I want you to tell me why she's here in this house," the braided boy demanded, yelling loudly. He got closer to Clinton and forced himself to hold back from punching him. He heard multiple footsteps behind him, followed by voices. They belonged to his mother and Reese. However, he didn't turn his attention away from Clinton. "Tell me, Clinton!"

When Mitchel received no response yet again, he immediately threw himself toward his older brother, connecting his fist with Clinton's jaw. The amount of anger and adrenaline he felt at that very moment was through the roof. Mitchel continued to throw punches while he was down on top of his brother, who was desperately trying to get him to stop. He heard loud yells for his name, and he quickly recognized them. They were all from the band and his parents. Mitchel was pulled off of Clinton and he attempted to get out of the grasps for four men.

"Let me go!" He yelled, using all the strength he had to pull his arms away. "Let me fucking break his face!"

"Mitchel!" Biddi yelled, running in front of her son. She turned to look at her older son and saw him on the ground, holding his jaw as he hissed in pain. "Oh, my God, Clinton!" She was quick to his side to help him up to his feet. He stumbled to the side, struggling to regain his balance.

"Mitty, what the hell is this all about?!" Christian asked, standing in front of the angered braided boy. They all let go of him soon after.

"This piece of shit right here invited Valentina!" The braided boy aggressively explained, pointing his finger at his brother. "I don't understand why he'd fucking do that!"

"Mitchel, calm down," Biddi said in a soft tone in attempt to calm her son down as she helped Clinton sit on his bed. She made her way back over to her youngest and rubbed his arm in a comforting manner. "We can't resolve anything if we raise our voices at one another." The braided boy's eyes snapped toward her and he gave her a hard look. Without saying another word, he moved his arm away from her touch aggressively and harshly glared at Clinton one last time before turning his heel to exit the room. He was immediately greeted by Reese standing outside the door. Mitchel let out a deep breath and pushed himself past her, marching down the hallway. Seconds later, a door slam was heard and a few items in the hallway shook at the impact.

Reese looked at Mitchel's door before turning her head to look at his brother and mother. She sighed softly, her shoulders dropping. Biddi made eye contact with her, giving her an apologetic smile. Reese looked over at Clinton and noticed that his jaw was beginning to bruise. The brunette shook her head before dismissing herself and heading toward Mitchel's room.

She knocked on his door, sighing once she received no response. "Mitchel, are you okay?" She asked after a few seconds. Mitchel didn't respond once again, so she opened the door softly and saw him laying on his stomach on the soft mattress, not facing her. "I'm sorry Clinton did this. It's fucked that he thought this was a good idea. We're going to get Valentina to leave, and I'll let you be alone for a while. If you need anything, I'll be in the kitchen, okay? I love you, Mitchel. Please don't worry about her."

The small girl backed out of the room and softly closed the door. She felt her heart drop slightly as she frowned. She turned around and jumped, seeing Clinton standing there. They were the only ones in the hall, Biddi and Brian nowhere in sight as well as the boys.

"Is he in there?" Clinton asked, breathing heavily.

"I don't think he wants to talk," Reese said lowly, avoiding as much eye contact as possible. She squirmed around uncomfortably from where she was standing.

"Well, I do," the older Cave brother said, immediately taking steps toward the door. He was about to twist the doorknob and walk in, but she stopped him.

"I said I don't think he wants to talk, Clinton," the brunette said, raising her voice. "Especially to you." Clinton turned to face her.

"Look, Reese," the taller man laughed. "This is between Mitchel and me. Nothing to do with you. I don't care if he doesn't want to talk, I'm going to make him talk to me whether he wants to or not." Reese couldn't respond. All she did was stand there, looking at him for a few seconds before he continued to go into his brother's bedroom. She had to admit, she was scared of Clinton. Intimidation was all she felt whenever he was in the room.

The door slammed shut in front of the small girl and she shook her head lightly. She didn't know what to do. Does she go in there and interrupt the conversation or does she go downstairs and not disturb? After a moment of thinking, she decided to just go downstairs. She needed to be away from there.

Reese entered the kitchen and saw everyone else. They seemed quiet. It wasn't something Reese was used to seeing because everyone was usually talking or happy.

"How's Mitchel holding up?" Christian asked the small girl. She sighed and shook her head.

"He wouldn't talk to me," she said. "Clinton went in there to talk to him. I specifically told him that he probably wouldn't want to, but he went in anyway."

"Jesus," Brian muttered from the table, rubbing his eyes in frustration. "Has she left yet?"

"No idea," the small girl shrugged, tilting her head slightly to the right. She frowned at him once she saw an angry expression on his face.

"Let's go find her," Christian said to Jesse and Pat. The other two nodded and followed Christian out of the kitchen.

"Wait!" Reese immediately said, catching their attentions. "Let me come with you." They looked at one another, each of them hesitant to have her come along. She sighed and rolled her eyes. "I need to do this. I've got a few things to say."

Christian eyed her and looked at Pat and Jesse before nodding his head. "Fine. I've got a bad feeling about this, but fine."