chapter 27

Reese sat in the back corner of the coffee shop as she scrolled through her Instagram explore page, her mind blank. Her charger was plugged into an outlet as she charged her phone, and a cup of coffee was placed in front of her on the table. It's been about three or so hours since she last saw the guys, and she's been receiving text messages from Mitchel for quite a while. He was asking where she was, begging her to reply to him, saying he was worried about her.

Not only had Mitchel texted her, but so has her parents and her brother. She didn't have the energy to put up with anyone at all, so she didn't respond to anyone. She just wanted to be alone. It was clear to her that everyone would be worried, but she just didn't want to deal with it.

The small girl took the coffee cup in her hand and brought it up to her lips, taking a small sip. She felt herself relax as the slightly warm liquid ran down her throat. A soft sigh of satisfaction escaped when she pulled the cup away.

Out of nowhere, her phone began to ring for the hundredth time that day. She read the name on her screen. Luke. Deciding she should at least answer him, she tapped on the green button, placing her phone to her ear.

"Hello?" She spoke up, her voice sounding bored.

"Reese, thank God," Luke said breathily, as if he was relieved. "Where are you? Everyone has been wondering where you are."

"Did she answer?" Reese's mother was heard in the background faintly, causing the small girl's heart to progressively pick up its pace.

"Yeah," Luke replied.

"Give me that phone."

"Mom, no, stop-"

A loud shuffling noise was heard on the other end, causing Reese to grimace. She knew what was coming.

"Where are you?" The older woman's voice was stern. Reese swallowed hard, thinking of what to say.

"Look, mom, I-"

"I said where are you?" She repeated, her voice lower than it was. Giving up, the brown eyed girl sighed.

"Bailey's Coffee," she muttered, leaning back against her seat.

"Either you come home, or I come down there."

"Mom, what the fuck, calm down," Luke's voice was heard as he spoke up, clearly irritated with his mother's behavior once more.

"Go to your room, Luke."

"You have my phone."

"Reese, get home. Now," her mother demanded before hanging up. The brunette sighed as she looked at her screen. She rolled her eyes and pressed the power button before setting the device faced down on the table. With the way her mom sounded, she knew that by the time she'd get home, she'd get an earful of harsh words. But she was used to it.

Deciding now probably would've been the best time to reply to Mitchel, she quickly unlocked her phone and opened up iMessage.

Mitchel
Reese pls respond to me, I'm worried as hell for u rn

Mitchel
I really hope you're okay

The small girl fought back a smile as she began to type away.

Reese
i'm fine. i just needed a little bit of me time. don't worry, though. it's nothing. i fell asleep.

A sigh escaped her lips as she thought she should just get it over with and head home. She didn't want to drag it out any longer.

***

The small girl swung the door open and her family was immediately in view. They all whipped their heads around to face the door as she stood there for a moment before dropping her shoulders with a sigh. For some reason, Reese noticed that her mother looked a little sad, terrified even.

"I'm here," Reese announced in a bored tone. "I'm ready for the lecture."

"No lecture today," her father chuckled softly. She couldn't help but continue eyeing her mother and wonder why she was in that current state. It confused her. Without another word, however, she made her way up the stairs and into her bedroom, locking the door once she got inside.

A buzz was heard from her back pocket, catching her by surprise. She whipped out her phone and saw that it was a text message from Mitchel.

Mitchel
Thank god. Why'd you leave so early?

The girl bit her lower lip softly. She didn't want to lie to him, but she didn't want Mitchel to get mad at Clinton.

Reese
my mom texted. she wanted me to come home.

Mitchel
Oh, yikes I'm sorry I couldn't say bye or anything :(

Reese
it's okay, don't worry.

Reese set her phone down and began to unlace her shoes. She was tired, but she didn't want to sleep. She didn't know what she wanted to do at all. Once she got her shoes off, there was a soft knock at her door, making her look up as it creaked open.

"Hey," Luke said, leaning against the door frame. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Reese nodded, turning her attention away from Luke as she picked up her phone again.

"Look, I know what you're thinking," the younger boy sighed. "Mom was a little mad, but she got over it quick."

"Why did she look so sad?"

The boy stayed quiet for a moment. He looked down at his feet before he spoke up. "I told her if she kept this up she'd lose you." Reese didn't say anything in response. Her phone beeped, catching both of their attentions immediately.

Mitchel
If I stop responding, my bad for that

Reese
don't sweat it. i'll leave you be. you need to get stuff done, anyway.

"Thank you," Reese sighed, looking up at her brother. "I'm going to go to sleep."

"Alright," Luke nodded once, standing there as if he was contemplating on doing something. It took him a moment to finally speak. "Hey, Reese?"

"Hm?"

"Who's this friend of yours?"

The brown eyed girl's breath got caught in her throat. Her heart began to race as she thought of something to say.

"Luke, I really am tired," Reese changed the subject as she shook her head, hoping he'd leave her alone. "Please let me be."

"I will, but I just want to know what you're getting into," he reasoned. "I just want you to be okay and I want whoever this person is to be a good friend." A small smile formed on Reese's lips. She was glad he cared about her.

"Maybe some other time, I'll tell you," she said.

After a short moment of thinking, Luke finally gave in and nodded his head. "Fine. I promise I won't tell mom or dad."

"Thank you," Reese smiled.