Chapter 1

Beca stood overlooking the L.A. night sky as she laced the rim of her Jack and coke. She still wasn't much of a drinker, but tonight, it seemed appropriate. She walked over to the fireplace and gently lined the edges of the six Grammies along the mantle. This was her dream. She pushed back the tears she could feel forming behind her eyes. Beca Mitchell didn't cry.

She seemingly had everything.

The career.

The penthouse apartment right in the middle of L.A. It was her dream.

Except for the one thing she lost. The one thing that would never truly belong to her. No matter how successful she was, she still felt like she didn't belong. She had fucked things up too much. It had been five years today, and each day the pain in her heart grew deeper.

Wake up lonely with you by my side
One more night it doesn't feel
There are movies playing in your eyes
You dream of our fortunes

Broken from her thoughts, she heard her phone buzz across the room. With a roll of her eyes, she placed her drink along the mantle and went to pick it up. She couldn't avoid her responsibilities forever.

"What's up?" Beca spoke into her iPhone, knowing exactly who was calling.

"Well hello to you too, Beca." Jesse scoffed into the phone.

"Look, unless this is life or death I'm really not in the mood for a lecture tonight… so just get to it loser." Beca spoke out grabbing her drink from the mantle taking small sips of the beverage, hoping it'd help ease the ache in her heart.

"Beca Mitchell, don't you dare hang up on me!" Jesse yelled.

"If you weren't my manager, I wouldn't have even answered… Come on Jess, seriously." Beca wasn't in the mood for this tonight.

"Okay, well you are all set up for the studio tomorrow morning with P!nk, she wanted to let you know that she's bringing Willow because Cary is still out of town. Then, you have Fallon Wednesday night; you're still good with that, right? It's just the basics… talking about the album, etc." Jesse spewed out.

"Yes, Jesse. Fine… that's fine. Can I go now?" Beca huffed out.

"I cleared your schedule for next weekend…." Jesse hesitantly added, knowing this would be a sensitive topic.

"I knew there was another reason for this call…. Just say it Jesse… what's next weekend?" Beca could feel her palms start to sweat and her heart pounding in her chest.

"Aubrey and I picked next weekend for the engagement party since it aligned with everyone's schedules…" Jesse spoke out.

"No… No way." Beca said shaking her head adamantly. Absolutely no way.

"Your skinny ass is going to be at that party. I'm serious Beca, this is really important to both of us, and you're really important to Aubrey and I. There's no way in hell you're missing it." Jesse bit out getting annoyed with his best friend. It wasn't often that he pushed Beca to do something she didn't want to. But this was different, this was his engagement party.

Beca hesitated before answering. Jesse was wonderful to her for so long, and she and Aubrey had even grown close, despite their differences. She knew she couldn't miss it.