Chapter 18: Think of You

"Friends? Friends?" Kelly Clarkson asked from the couch in the studio.

"Just friends," Beca nodded as she fidgeted with some equipment.

Kelly and Beca had met in the studio extremely early before their flight to Vegas with Jess and Jesse. Every year the Billboards honored an artist, this year, they were honoring Rihanna who happened to be one of Beca's artists. Kelly and Beca were performing a tribute to the artist at the Billboards and they had been rehearsing before they left. They had finished and felt like they were in a good place for the performance, they had practiced several times already but they were both perfectionists to the core. The two had been making small talk before they left.

"What a load of bullshit!" Kelly responded with a laugh. "You know damn well that's never going to work out."

"What am I supposed to do? She wants to be friends, I need to show her that I can be her friend, that I'm not going anywhere," Beca replied spinning in her chair to face the singer completely.

"You also need to show her you will fight for her, that you don't want to be just her friend," Kelly pointed out.

"Wasn't giving her the box and serenading her in public proof of that?" Beca asked.

"It was a start, but don't stop showing her how much you care. She's scared you will leave her again…" Kelly said gaining Beca's interest.

"I know how life is without Chloe; the only place I feel like I belong is with her. I would never leave her again if I had the chance…" Beca said sincerely.

"I know that, but Chloe doesn't know that yet, prove it to her," Kelly nodded.

"Ugh, you've become a total pain in my ass since you found Brandon, you know?" Beca smirked back. She was so happy for the singer, she'd had relationships, but she was much like Beca. She never tore her walls down to let anyone in – until she met Brandon, who had turned Kelly's life completely upside down. He was a game changer, just like Chloe.

"I'm just ridiculously freakin' happy – and I know I deserve it, I've been through my fair share of heartbreak. And you deserve to be ridiculously happy too, Beca. And that girl makes you happy, don't be stupid," Kelly said standing up to grab some water.

"Gee, thanks for the pep talk," Beca laughed as she pulled her phone out of her pocket.

Good morning rockstar, hope you got some sleep last night, xoxo.

"Is that her texting you now?" Kelly excitedly asked as she jumped to sit in the seat across from Beca.

Beca nodded and showed Kelly the text. "Oh my god! Could that girl want you anymore?!"

"What? That's just how Chloe is, it doesn't mean anything," Beca said dismissively, texting the redhead back.

"You're smiling," Kelly said with a smile, she was excited to see her friend happy.

"Shut up, dude!" Beca said with a laugh kicking her foot to hit Kelly's leg.

"Did you talk to her about the song you're performing tonight? It's basically just a love confession," Kelly joked back.

Beca just bit at her thumbnail as she exhaled a breath, she was terrified to put herself out there.

"It's gonna be fine, Beca! Besides – I will be out there crushing it with you after your confesssionnnnn offf loveeee," Kelly sang out giddily.