Chapter 8: Infinite Arrow

Beca leaned back in her chair stretching her arms over her head in content after her last bite of burger. She loved the easy flow of conversation with Chloe, everything in her life had always seemed so forced; but it never did with Chloe and that was one of the few things that hadn't changed in five years.

"So, tell me about this solo album. You've been writing again, Beca? I was so happy when Bree told me that." Chloe said continuing the conversation as she stuffed a French fry in her mouth.

"So many questions about this album, Beale!" Beca playfully responded.

"I'm curious.... Can't blame a girl for wondering!" Chloe smirked to her.

"I'm actually, uh. I'm pretty nervous about it honestly. You know me; I've never been good at the whole being vulnerable thing." Beca admitted scratching her forearm nervously.

"I think you're way better at it than you think." Chloe grinned.

"I was only ever good at it with you, Chloe." Beca admitted meeting the redhead's eyes.

"Well, from the looks of things, you've definitely progressed in that department." Chloe said leaning back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What is that supposed to mean exactly?" Beca said, not bothering to hide the defensive state of her tone.

"I'm just saying, Beca... I've followed your career really closely and I just saw-" Chloe started....

"That shit is not real, Chloe. You don't know what you're talking about." Beca said raising her voice a little, unable to hide the hurt in her tone. She didn't know why she was getting so offended, but something about it just irritated her. She didn't want Chloe having false ideas about how she spent her time.

"Okay, okay." Chloe said lifting her hands in surrender.

"The press says a lot of things about me and my supposed love-life. But it's not real... it's not-I-I can't even- I can't even begin to explain how untrue all that is." Beca added, but was met with silence from Chloe looking at the floor.

She knew exactly what Chloe was thinking, she had seen it for herself at the engagement party, but Chloe didn't know Beca didn't sleep with Melanie (Melissa?), but she was still unsure of why the subject was so delicate.

"Chloe," Beca said reaching her hand across the table to gain her attention, "I know what you saw the other night didn't portray me in the best light... and the tabloids... The tabloids are brutal. It's definitely the most difficult part of my job... they make up things about me all the time. Anyone I see at a club or at lunch, I'm automatically in a relationship with, it's... It's very frustrating. You can't believe everything you read in the magazines, Chlo." Beca explained without even realizing the drop of her old nickname.

"So, you and I are in a relationship then?" Chloe added lifting her head, smirk fully in place.

"Wha-what?" Beca said scratching the back of her neck nervously.

"We are at lunch. Will I see this in the papers tomorrow?" Chloe said laughing.

"Look right there-" Beca said lifting her hand to Chloe's face and tilting her cheek to the 11:00 position.