fourteen

Hugh glances over at Cassandra as she gazes across the beach, the moonlight reflecting sharply across the water. They walk along the pathway down to the shore together, dizzy and tipsy.

"So, you don't smoke," Hugh states, pulling out a pack and sliding a cigarette out. "But you still wanted to come out here with me?" He places the stick between his lips as he cups his hands to light it.

"I needed to get out of there. It was stuffy and I just wanted some fresh air," she exhales heavily. She sits down on one of the large rocks nearby, unable to hold her wobbly-self up anymore. Hugh follows, a trail of smoke escaping his mouth with the breeze. He sits on the rock next to her. A silence rose for a few minutes, neither of them knowing what to say. "I honestly dislike expressing these type of emotions, but I have so much alcohol in my bloodstream I just need to get them out," she declares, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"What do you mean?" Hugh asks, holding the cigarette between his two fingers as he watches her.

"I feel like I'm not good enough. I feel like I've been doing everything wrong for years. I let everyone I meet down and I wish I could just do something right for once in my life," she sighs, looking directly up at the sky to hold back the tears that now well on her lashline. Hugh flicks his cigarette into the sand, turning his being to face her.

"Cassie, you are a spectacular woman. You shine so bright and you make the world smile when you smile. I wish I could make you understand that," he places his arm around her and rubs her shoulder.

"I'm just so confused with what the world has been offering me lately," she looks up at him. "I have absolutely no idea what I want anymore." She lets the tears sting her eyes, not even caring if they fall or not.

"Those are things you have to take in and embrace. The challenges life throws you are unpredictable! It's up to you how you conquer them," he says. "Wow, I sound like a damn prophet right now." He chuckles, looking down at the girl.

Another silence rose, but somewhat of a comforting one.

"Can I kiss you?" Cas blurts out, the alcohol switching gears as her emotions are completely distraught.

"Wha-,"

"It won't mean anything." She finalizes. Hugh continues to look down at her, a confused expression glued on his face. "Fuck it," she whispers under her breath. She cups the boy's cheek and brings him close to her, placing her lips on his. He waits a moment before returning the gesture.

On the outside, it's nothing more than a mixed-emotion, drunken kiss, but inside her mind, all Cassandra can think about is Josh. Hugh tastes exactly how she imagines Josh would; a mix of smoke and mint lingers in his mouth, driving her crazy. The way Hugh's hands slide up and down her body is how she dreamed Josh would take charge if ever given the chance to exchange such a gesticulation. She almost wants to cry harder as thoughts of him emerge in her mind.

His smile.

His eyes.

His laugh.

His kindness.

His abs...

She wants to be touched and feel loved more than she actually wants Hugh. She presses her body against his as they rise up off the rocks, any previous tension now forming into relaxed passion. Cas slides her hands down and tugs on the boy's belt.

Before things can get out of hand, the two scurry into the apartment, going in through the back and vanishing into Hugh's room.