fifteen

Her eyes shoot open to nothing but darkness, a mystery arm around her. Cas lays still and silent for a moment as a recollection of the night before floods her mind.

"Shit," she mumbles as she figures out who's bed she's laying in. The girl squirms out of Hugh's grasp, searching for her phone. She rises off the bed, wincing as her feet hit the ice cold ground. While looking for her phone, she notices she's not wearing any pants. She grumbles and grabs her jeans, as well as her phone in the back pocket.

4:25am.

Cas squats down on the corner of the mattress, checking her notifications, noticing a few Snapchats and messages from her roommates:

She places her forehead in the palm of her hand, disappointed in herself for making her friends worry about her. Looking back at the sleeping boy, she can't help but feel a ping of guilt. Was it that bad to be thinking of one guy while hooking up with another? Before she begins the hunt for her stuff, she adjusts the blankets on his bed, making sure he's fully covered.

She scrambles to grab the rest of her clothing, which includes a pair of shoes and a shirt. As she scuttles out of the room, she prays to all the gods of every religion that no one found out about what happened between her and Hugh.

Looking both ways down the hallway, she cautiously steps out of the bedroom, making her way towards her own. She passes the living room, thanking the Lord that it's empty. As she finally relaxes, she determines that she needs to grab a glass of water before heading back to sleep. Turning into the kitchen, she instantly reaches for a glass and fills it up with tap water. She looks out the window in-front of the sink, noticing small clouds of smoke brushing against it. Squinting, she leans further to get a better look outside.

Josh.

"Fuck, fuck fuck fuck," she whispers breathlessly nonstop. Out of shock, the glass of water slips out of her hands and lands back in the sink, creating a deafening sound that rings throughout the kitchen. Josh, utterly startled, turns to face where the noise came from, catching a glimpse of Cassie. He slowly wanders back inside, getting a full view of the petrified, half-naked, inebriated girl trying to refill her cup of water. He watches as she still has no awareness of him standing there. Josh clears his throat, triggering the girl to jump back slightly, spilling some of the water on the ground. The curse words she was whispering grow into a shout.

"Fuck!" She exclaims, placing the glass on the counter. Turning to face him, she glances down at his shirtless body, heat rising in her cheeks.

"Is there a reason you're walking around in your underwear?" Josh asks, pain in his tone.

"I, uh-,"

"Don't answer that," he looks down, his chest so tight he doesn't even know how to properly react. The boy never thought of himself as a crier, but he often does get choked up. Cas has no idea what to say to him. The sound of the faucet dripping slowly into the sink was the loudest thing besides their breathing. Josh hesitates, as if he might say something, looking at the girl up and down before meeting her eyes.

Instead, he walks right past her, turning off the kitchen light as he goes, leaving the girl in complete darkness. Sighing, she picks up her cup and takes a sip, navigating the way to her bedroom. Once inside, she flops onto her bed and holds back tears. On one hand, Josh looked broken when he saw her, as if he already guessed what had happened. On the other, she tries to convince herself she did nothing wrong. Neither of them had admitted to any feelings, or acted upon it. Plus, she works for him. You can only go so far with your own boss.

But he's also her friend. A friend she can rely on and trust with anything. She consciously knows that there is some different type of mutual bond between them.

"I did nothing wrong," she forces herself to say as her mind goes blank, her eyelids getting heavy. "Absolutely nothing."

But - -

Isn't it wrong to break someone's heart?