twenty four

The boat ride back to their apartment was completely silent, only a couple of them on the ship as the others followed Josh to the local hospital. As she slowly comes down from her high, Cas only grows more upset. She sits with her head on Hugh's shoulder, meanwhile Jeremy leans on the railing a few feet away, staring at the waves that crash against the boat. Jess, Lily, and Alexa decide to hang back on the island so Josh has a few familiar faces to be around when he wakes up.

The other three make it to the island and journey back up to their home, the air thick between each of them. Once inside, Cassie goes directly to her room and slams the door. She turns on her phone's ringer and stares at it, awaiting some word on Josh's condition. Hugh enters the kitchen and grabs two glasses of water, shoving one towards Jeremy in order to sober him up.

"Eat some bread with that, too," he grumbles. Jeremy doesn't even look up at his friend as he is completely washed over with sorrow and regret. Hugh pushes some white bread towards the boy before retreating to the living room, laying on the couch and switching on the television. Jeremy remains in the kitchen, unable to move as he comes to terms with his actions. His first thought is to go talk to his sister, but he doesn't wish to make the tension any worse. Chugging his water, he makes way to his room and falls onto his bed, forcing himself to get some sleep so that when it comes time to face what he has done, he will be sober.

As the sun begins to rise, Cas tries to keep herself awake, not wanting to miss any texts or phone calls she may get within the next few hours. To keep herself woke, she leaves her room and ventures to find some food. In the corner of her eye, she notices Hugh laying on the couch. In desperate need of comfort, she grabs an orange and trots over to him. His face perks up once she enters his vision.

"Cas," he say, his voice laced with sleep. "How you doing?" She steps closer to him, triggering him to sit up and make room for her on the sofa. She plops down and peels her orange, brushing off his question. "You okay?" He places his hand on her knee and rubs gently. Cas shakes her head and feels her heart buckle. Attempting to hold back sobs, she simply shrugs. Hugh wraps his arm around her shoulders and pulls her onto his body. Relaxing into him, she lets the fruit roll out of her hands and onto the floor. "Do you want me to get that?"

"No," she blurts out. He nods and continues to rub her shoulder. They sit like this for a couple of minutes before Hugh works up the courage to speak again.

"I... I know we sort of had a confusing past, but I need you to know that I am always here for you," he mumbles, looking down at the heartbroken girl. "And I know you don't want to hear this right now, but... Jeremy is upset about what he did."

"That's his own problem," she growls quietly. Hugh remains quiet as he thinks of possible other things to say, but determines that it's better to console the girl instead of lecturing her. Their moment together is interrupted by the piercing sound of Cas's ringtone from the kitchen. She shoots up and locks eyes with Hugh before sprinting to the counter. She fumbles around with her phone before finally answering it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Cas," Jess's voice greets.

"How is everything?" Her fingers crawl up towards her mouth as she unconsciously starts biting her nails.

"He's fine. He has some minor cuts and bruises, along with a fractured nose. Nothing serious or life altering." Cassie can't help but laugh out of relief as a smile grows along her face. She turns towards Hugh and shoots him a thumbs up.

"That's amazing. When will you all be home?"

"Within the next hour. He can't stop asking about you," Jess taunts jokingly through the phone. Cas blushes, giggling in response.

"Really?"

"I wouldn't lie about that. We're heading to the port now."

"Alright, see you soon. Love you guys,"

"See ya, love you too."

Cas hangs up and rushes over to Hugh, plopping down next to him and hugging him. He returns the gesture and pulls away, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I can't believe he's okay. I'm so relieved," she admits breathlessly. Hugh smiles.

"Josh is lucky to have you."

"If he didn't have me, this would not have happened," she jokes before realizing that her own statement is the truth. Hugh scoffs.

"Stop thinking that way," he slowly stands up and stretches. "I'm going to get some shut-eye for a little while before they get back. Maybe you should do the same." He flashes her a grin before journeying to his bedroom and shutting the door.

Cas remains alone in her own thoughts. She starts to go over everything that happened earlier, and exactly what was said-

"...smoking up my sister isn't going to work like it does for all your other girls. She isn't another one of your bitches."

At the time Cas was basically in a different reality with the amount of marijuana and alcohol in her system, but playing back what her brother yelled at Josh before the fight, she begins to worry. Another one of his girls, she thinks to herself, running a hand through her hair as she grows stressed. At this point, she can't help but wonder...

Is Josh better out without her?

Or is she better off without him?