4. "routine"

"Routine"

"How the hell did this happen?" Tommy says a little louder than intended, shocked just like me when I first heard it myself.

"She even asked him to drive me to school." I add and drink more of my coffee.

"She did?" Tommy questions in disbelief furrowing his eyebrows together.

"That's what he said. Why else would he actually drive me here?" I remark.

"Odd." Tommy finally says after a few moments of silence.

"Odd doesn't even cover it." I comment. "And whenever he's around she always has that fake polite and hosting attitude that she didn't even have when dad was still here." I add, this time annoyance evident in my voice and movements.

"This doesn't sound like Tania Hathaway. Maybe she's possessed." Tommy jokes making me jokingly morface and let a gigle escape my lips.

I drink my coffee as Tommy lights another cigarette knowing he has enough time for another one.

"Almost forgot!" Tommy exclamates after a few moments of silence as he grabs his bag and shoves his hand in the front pocket searching for something. "Here." He says with slower voice as he hands me the stuff he brought.

"You forgot the stuff?" I ask jokingly as I take it and shove it in my bag.

"I think what you told me is a good excuse." He points out and I laugh.

"Nothing is an excuse when it comes to you." I joke making him join me in laughter.

"Wanna come over to my place later to smoke it?" He suggests and I grimace knowing it's Friday and I'm working all day.

"Can't. It's Friday." I explain and he presses his lips together and nods realizing what day it is. "Tomorrow?" I suggest.

"Tomorrow." He agrees grinning but his grin soon vanishes as the bell rings for us to go to our next classes.

°°°

It's almost twelve pm. I'm exhausted, taking the bus back home as I had to leave straight from school to work and I had no time to pick up my car. My mother should already be sleeping, probably in the guest room.

I unlock the door to see the lights are off, so either Aaron is asleep or out. I lock the door behind me and snort in exhaustion before I turn on the lights.

I pour myself some water, take the glass with me to the living room and place it on the table in front of me before I sit on the couch and do what I've been waiting for all day.

I take out the perfectly rolled weed I prepped earlier today and light it, taking a long drag and holding it inside me for as long as I can before releasing the smoke having my eyes closed and enjoying the moment of relaxation. I take another drag. And another.

"So you really are a junky." I hear an annoyingly familiar voice from a few feet to my left where the stairs are. I don't even bother looking at him, I just roll my eyes and take another drag.

Aaron walks over to me and stands before me.

He's topless relevaling his fine torso with the six pack and all, wearing grey sweatpants. Damn he looks good I'll give him that. He looks around the living room then back at me.

"No sofa?" He points out, his arms crossed on his chest.

"It broke." I explain blowing off the smoke from my last drag. We used to have a sofa until Tommy and Brian -another one of my friends- accidentally broke it a few months ago and I haven't got the money to replace it yet. Now there's only one couch right opposite the tv, which I'm currently sitting on.

He twitches his nose momentarily annoyed by the smell of my weed.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I sneer earning an eye roll from him.

"Where's the kitchen?" He asks ignoring my comment. I lift my arm and point right behind me.

He nods and heads there. He returns after a few moments with a glass of water in hand as I put out what's left of the joint in the ashtray on the small table in front of me. I take another one out of my bag and light it.

"To addicted to have only one?" He comments with the rude and aggressive attitude he always has when he speaks to me.

"Too cool to go to sleep?" I reply copying his tone and blow off the smoke.

"What am I, five? It's midnight." He points out and finishes his water.

"Victoria honey where have you been?" I hear my mother's voice call out from the guest room's door that has just been opened.

"Working." I reply as if she doesn't already know. "It's Friday." I add.

"Oh, right. I shall make you something to eat." She states and heads to the kitchen. Since when does she make me dinner?

"You work?" Aaron asks in disbelief with furrowed brows. I bet he never had to work himself. His father Sam Campbell is a business man, they have a lot of money. I envy him in a way.

"Surprised?" I say and take another drag of my joint. It's already started to affect me and I feel my head and body getting heavier.

"Mrs Tania doesn't give you enough money for drugs?" He mocks me. If he keeps acting like this I won't be able to relax.

I slowly stand up, gather my things and walk past him heading to my room, my joint in hand. If I can't find my peace and quiet there then I'm doomed.

"Where are you going?" I hear him call out for behind me.

"Victoria honey, are you not going to eat?" I heat my mother's voice high pitched and fake as expected when Aaron is around.

"Just don't Tania." I yell so she can hear me as I'm climbing up the stairs, referring to her fake ass attitude. My routine is fucked.