18. I was right

I was right

I turn off my alarm with a heavy heart and drag myself out of the comfort of my bed. It's Wednesday, I fucking hate Wednesdays. And I hate this one even more already. It's not only that I have to go to work, I work on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays too. It's the school time I'm dreading this time for two main reasons.

One, everyone will be gossiping about what happened with Jenny and me yesterday and all the unnecessary and negative attention will be on me -of course- because who would dare blame the popular one over the drug-using one.
And two, I haven't spoken to my unwanted roommate since I slammed my door in his face and I'd very much like to keep it that way even though I'm sure he'll want to talk. I don't have to avoid him forever, only until he gets the message, but even thinking about all the effort I'll have to put in is draining me.

I make the decision to leave the house earlier so I'll be less likely cross paths with him. Just less than two more weeks and he'll be gone thankfully.

It's pretty cold outside today so I put on a pair of thick black baggy sweatpants, an oversized grey T-shirt and a black oversized hoodie with a front pocket in shich i shove my cigarettes and lighter. I quickly comb my hair not bothering to style it in anyway or even gather it into a ponytail. I throw the hoodie over my head to keep it from getting cold and make my way downstairs as quickly and quietly as possible.

I grab an apple along with my keys on my way out and hold it among my teeth as I open the car door and toss my bag on the passenger seat. I check the time on my phone before I start the engine.

7:05

I'm gonna need coffee. Lot's of it.

°°°

As predicted all I've been hearing today is yesterday's events. As I take my place among my friends in our smoking area I am already smoking a cigarette I lit on the way. I hardly care about the commentary anymore, they're all talking about me so I might as well smoke wherever I want.

"All jokes aside, Vic, she had it coming. Someone was bound to teach her a lesson sometime, it just so happened it's you." Brian tells me and a couple of my present friends agree. That's the first time today someone actually addressed me on the matter.

"Sure, she has a big mouth, but I don't think she learned any lesson." I comment and take another drag from my cigarette.

"On a less depressing matter, party at my place tomorrow night. And bring whoever you want, there's plenty of room." Britney says finally taking the attention off of me.

We assure her we'll all be there and make some arrangements about what to bring to drink and smoke. Britney's parents aren't often out of town so when they finally clear the place we always have parties. Even people like Aaron show up, it's a pretty amazing place to host.

As they keep discussing the topic I create a small distance between me and them and let my mind race for the hundredth time today.

I'm well aware I was the one to tell Aaron to stay away from me. And he has. Makes me think I was right after all. He never gave a shit about me he was only compromising.

I dont get it. This is exactly what I wanted. To be left alone and be rid of him. And I wished he'd stay away and not try to talk to me. I got what I wanted. So why am I not feeling as good as I thought I would? Why am I not contempt?

It doesn't matter.

I've told myself this over and over again today when I didn't even know I had to. But this'll be good for me. I need to get him off my mind, I was thinking about him dangerously a lot lately.

Tommy glances at me and makes his way over. He can tell I'm not having the time of my life.

"I doubt Jenny had this much influence on you." He correctly points out. "What happened?" He asks speaking in a low voice to avoid being heard by the ones close to us.

"I'm not sure." I reply genuinely confused with all that's been going on in my head. Could I really be wanting Aaron's company? Since. Fucking. When.

"Come over after work if you wanna talk about it, yeah? Anytime you want." He offers making me smile and nod in acceptance.

"Yeah, thanks Tommy." I tell him and wrap my arms around him being careful not to burn him with my lit cigarette that's unfortunately for me nearly done.

As he hugs me back I feel comforted already. With all the shit that's been going on I'm lucky to have a friend like him.

°°°

Locked up in my room I'm changing my clothes and fixing my hair getting ready to go to work. I won't be late but I'm still in a hurry to leave the house.

I exit my room and rush down the stairs bumping onto no other than him on the way to the door much to my bad luck. I barely shoot him a glance and try to move past him without any other engagement. He stands before me once again stopping me from moving any further.

"We need to talk." He says in all seriousness and my only reflex is to avoid his stare and dodge him.

"There's nothing to talk about." I say coldly and step on the right to walk past him with no success as he blocks my path again.

"Yes there is, what time are you coming back?" He impatiently asks as I push him out of my way and go for the door.

"I'm not." I say shooting him a quick glance over my shoulder and shut the door behind me feeling both relieved and regretful of the way I handled this situation.