15. dad

Dad

Five years ago

Mom was in agony. She was pacing up and down the living room and when she wasn't she was just sitting at the kitchen table still. Very still. Being married to a police officer had her worried every night he was late to come home, but this night wasn't like any other. It felt colder and slower.

It was almost midnight when the door was knocked. Immediately mom stood up and headed over but it wasn't excitement she was feeling, it was worry. I knew it wasn't dad too. Not because there was a knock instead of keys I'd heard, I'd known something was wrong earlier that night the moment mom called him and he didn't pick up.

After what felt like forever she opened the door and faced two police men she'd never seen before. She stared at them wide eyed and finally spoke.

"Yes?"

"Mrs Hathaway?" One of them said. I rushed over and stood beside her.

"Yes." She confirmed taking my hand in hers as we both knew bad news would follow. "What's this about?"

"We regret to inform you that your husband was killed in duty earlier tonight." He said the words I'd never forget.

I felt numb at first. It was like eternity but only seconds passed when sorrow hit me like a truck. My mother's grip loosened and she let go, saying nothing and hearing nothing. It was the last time in a long time she'd show any affection to me.

The police men kept speaking, informing us of how there was an emergency call and my father was the nearest available unit they turned to, how he entered a liquor store that was being robbed alive and came out in a body bag, shot twice by two men desperate enough kill for cash.

"Junkies" they called them. "A common phenomenon" they said.

"...we are very sorry for your loss. Your husband's remains have been transferred to the morgue. I know it must be hard for you but unfortunately we need you to fill out the required paperwork as the closest relative." The police said and my mother swallowed the lump in her throat as if finally listening.

She remained silent and with slow movements she grabbed her coat and left the house.

"Stay here, I'll be right back." She said to me. He tone was cold and distant. At the time I'd never thought I'd have to get used to it.

__________

A/N

Aye people!

It takes very long for me to update but I haven't given up on writing this story so bare with me:)

It's a depressing chapter but good ones are coming;)

Laterr