Ben x E.j (angst)

(My favourite thing to write is agnst if you didn't notice. This is, a guilty pleasure ship of mine? The first ship I ever shipped back when I joined the fandom properly. So even if it's not that great it's gonna be special in my heart. 😁🤗)
The eyeless male ran his fingers down the old box of the payphone and lifted it off the hook, ringing in the numbers. It took a moment before a soft sound of bubbling water, pattering feet then silence. He sighed and tried again. The same thing. He left the payphone a moment later to walk down the dark street, a few blocks down he passed another phone booth. The phone rang. He paused and looked at it reaching his hand out to touch it, pulling it up to his ear.
A low gurgle of bubbling water echoed through it, then it went silent. He stayed still for a moment allowing the cold to nip at his back through the booth before raising his hand to punch in a selection of numbers. 2525252525.
The phone rang despite no money being inserted and a blurred voice as if it had pulled itself from a coma. For once it spoke with different words not Susie did the monotone woman speak of.
"Help me. Help me. My son's dying."
He remained silent, listening to her cold voice utter those words in a chant.
"Help me. Help me. My son's drowning."
A broken record as she uttered them again and again and again. He listened, before speaking slow and carefully.
"Who?"
She went silent, her rhythm broken then a different voice spoke up. A much younger voice, softer than hers with a slight crackle and teary tone.
"Stop it."
"Please, come back. " Jack sighed softly.
"Leave me alone." The voice cried before the line went dead.
He placed the phone down and continued walking, away from the streets and town.
Into the woods.
He walked along the dirt trail before he arrived near the lake, he turned his head towards it. The river spread from it. A small boathouse on the left side of the lake. He sat down on the dock. The water rippling below him as the fish swam about. Watched a light blue light spark across the surface and a smile tugged at his lips, he tugged off his mask holding it above the water before dropping it in.
He let it splash in and sink down before a soft bubbling came from the water.
Splashes and the wavering of static.
The blonde poked his head above the water's surface his face tinted blue as the candy red orbs trailed towards the eyeless male as he grasped the blue mask in his pale hands. Dirt under his fingernails and areas of seaweed and moss along the nail and wrist tangled about him as he moved to place the mask on the dock next to the other.
He saw his hand move out to touch him and he flinched back.
"Toaster in the tub."
The other stiffened and retracted his hand to his lap.
The blonde sighed, for a moment he let himself sink back into the water. Glaring up at the sky as a prismic array of fractured colours and glistening lines danced across the water's surface like the inside of a monitor. He turned over and poked his head back out of the water to stare at the other intently.
"You didn't have to... " The eyeless male sighed.
The blonde looked down dipping back into the water to drown out the others words before he pushed himself up onto a rock in the centre of the lake. He stared at the other from his perch.
"Why did you come here?"
"I wanted to see you."
The blonde sighed, his voice was soft and delicate even if he tried to be firm his lungs and vocal cords damaged long ago. "Jack, that's pathetic."

The other chuckled. "I know. I miss you though."
The blonde hugged his knees and looked down. "I can't leave."
"Ben..."
"I mean it. This is...the only place I can have any sense of being alive, of being able to walk, to touch....to speak. God you don't know what it's like to be trapped in those things to be paralyzed entirely, confined in technology.." he shook his head and wriggled about, waving his hands in a frenzy.
Jack remained quiet, listening to the other.
"It's difficult to always move in those places to feel so confined and it takes so much, ah, energy to break it enough to, just, look real. To pretend like I am,  in all truth, a hologram. Here is..."
"The place you died."
"The closest to home I'll ever be." He sighed, looking irritated at the interruption. "I want to feel again. To run, to eat, sleep, feel the grass beneath my feet, get headaches and feel my heart aching as I pants for breath because I ran too much, to breathe again...You don't know how much I miss it..."
Jack was silent again as the boy shifted on the rock and laid down his tattered green tunic, covered in holes and algae dripping went with water flattened and wrinkled about him. His moss covered boots made soft squelching noises as he pulled them from the water and kicked about.
"Here. In my fucking heaven in hell, the place where I died...my spirit seems most at rest. The only place I can feel....some form of alive."

Jack sighed, "But Ben...."
"Don't even start, you shouldn't have come here. I told you to leave me alone, god damnit. Why couldn't you do that?"
"Because I love you. Listen to me...."
The other had burst into tears, crimson stains drooling down his cheeks.
"Ben, I know it hurts....I miss being able to see but....you can't stay here wallowing in self pity and trying to drown yourself in shallow exstacy...please, come back. I miss being able to talk with you everyday. What happened to the little boy I knew? The Ben that always made me smile? The one who liked to annoy the shit out of me? The one who wouldn't leave me alone because he knew I'd be lonely without him, the guy I fell in love with..."
The blonde let out some soft sniffles as he wiped he cheeks sitting up. He looked at Jack. "He fell in love with you..."
Jack was speechless.
"I want to hold you, hug you....but I can't even touch you. If I go them I'm a voice and an image. If I stay here I'm a high voltage decaying mass of electrons ready to electrocute and burn you. I want to hug you. I'd give anything to....but if I do I'd hurt you, I might even kill you...and I couldn't stand that. I'd rather be alone away from you, than every day enjoy the torment knowing I could never touch you...."
"Ben...."
"Don't! YOU DONT UNDERSTAND." The other started crying harder his face red and puffy stained crimson. His fingers tips seemed to spark and glow blue like a broken cable.. sparking.
"Ben.....I..."
The blinds fingers hit the water as he looked down, a flare of blue sparks flew over the water like a ghost cutting through it. The water flared up charged with glowing sparking cables, crazed waves made spastic turns as they rode up towards the shoreline. Flailing about madly, "Leave me alone!!"
The blonde yelled as the water rose to form shapes Charging the docks as walls of water surrounded the blond.
The eyeless male jerked up snatching his mask he leapt backward from the cable charged water as it snapped and lashed at him.
He glanced at the elfin boy crying inside before another wave forced him to run off into the woods for safety.