A Different Past: Stealth Elf

The night was young, the forest alive with animals of the night, crickets chirping loudly though going silent as a small elven child ran by. She held her arms out in front of her as she ran, her once good clothing now dirty and torn from the nature's sharp obstacles. Tears streamed down he fear filled face, she panted heavily the more she ran and almost tripping over her own feet. Her long blue hair getting snagged and caught in things. Behind her we're many footsteps, lost of them. Howling and barking coming from behind her, causing her to run faster and faster.

She ignored the pain on her skin, small cuts barely bleeding yet her young skin couldn't take it. Suddenly she screamed out in pain as the wolves finally caught up to her, one of them had their teeth sinking in her ankle. She turned and used her free foot to kick the wolf in its face, causing it to tip and release her, she then got up and limped away. She kept rubbing but was slower due to her ankle being bit. As hard as she tried, she couldn't keep going, she fell to the ground, panting heavily as the pain started to sink in. She whimpered and cried silently as her ears twitched, the wolves closing in on her, growling and snapping. She looked at one just as it jumped at her, she shut her eyes tightly as she waited for the pain, but it never came.

When she opened her eyes, the wolves were yelping and running away, a large dark figure standing in front of her. It turned to her and stepped into the moonlight, it's orange glowing eyes looking at her softly. It's skin was like bark, or maybe it was armor? She backed away from him, wincing and whimpering in pain as the figure approached her.

"Don't move little one, I can help you." The figure spoke, his voice was high pitched for a guy yet it was soothing.

"W-Who are you..?" She asked, the figure kneeled and sat in front of her, her tenseness slowly going away.

"I don't have any names people call me. You may call me Sensei." He said, she blinked tears away and wiped them with the heel of her hand.

"Sensei?" She repeated, he nodded.

"Will you let me help you?" He asked, the girl nodded, earning the tree figure to scoop her up in his arms, once she blinked, she was somewhere else. Her eyes widened as she stared at a large tree with a house in the branches, small, dim lights decorating it.

"How..?" She mumbled, he walked up the steps that circled the trees stem, up into the house and placing her in the chair.

"The art of the ninja, little one." He said before giving her another look. "Do you have a name?"

"I... I don't remember..." she said, the tree grumbled in thought.

"What about your parents?" He asked, the girl felt like crying again.

"I don't remember them either..." she said, a hiccup escaping. Sensei soon wrapped her leg up in bandages after carefully cleaning it. Along with the other wounds, he did it in silence, she didn't speak either.

"Stealth Elf..." He said, she looked up at him.

"What?" She asked, confused to what he said.

"How about Stealth Elf? I can teach you the way of the ninja and you can soon become the protector of this forest when I pass." He explained, she thought this over before smiling.

"I love it!" She exclaimed, the tree would be smiling if he had a mouth. She was soon sent to bed, a small cot in the living room. She was asleep almost instantly, he was happy with his find.

~~~

Years have passed since Stealth Elf was rescued by her Sensei. Her skin was a minty green, her dark blue hair tied in a braid. She wore a tank top under a hoodie with the sleeves cut of, revealing her sides. A scarf tied around the lower half of her face, dark brown pants that was tied near the ends due to them being baggy. She had slip on black shoes, then bandages wrapped around her knuckles and past her wrist. She was about fifteen now, sixteen at the most. She had just finished saving a family of deer from a watery fate, the cliff had caved in while they were moving.

Though the day was early, a beautiful day. The sky was a perfect blue without a cloud in sight, she smiled through her mask as she made her way back home where her Sensei was. She was fast, carefully flipping over branches and swinging on them as she went. She landed and rolled on the ground, standing and was met with the treehouse she lived in. She walked up the stairs and lowered her mask once she entered, finding her Sensei on his cot.

"You're back, how did it go?" He asked, she walked to him before bowing and standing straight once again

"All the animals are safe, the cliff collapsed." Stealth Elf answered, his eyes flickered.

"Good... it's such a beautiful day, it's a shame I have to go..." he said, she felt her heart quench.

"D-Don't day that, Please..." she said, kneeling next to him, he placed his hand on her cheek.

"I'm sorry Stealth Elf, I trained you to protect this place. Promise me something..." he said, she brought her hand up and placed it over his.

"Anything..." she said, tears forming in her blank eyes.

"Stay true to yourself, listen to your gut if you have to... I love you..." he said, his hand falling from her cheek. Silent tears fell from her eyes as she placed his hand on his chest, his body began to glow as small, white butterflies then flew from him and into the sky, she watched this happen until there was nothing left of him. Now she felt empty and alone, staring into the now empty treehouse. Her ears lowered, she wiped her tears and began to finish her daily chores before eating dinner. Once she was in bed, she fell asleep quickly.

Stealth Elf looked around her, noticing a large castle behind her, squinting her eyes at it as blurred figured flew in the sky. Around her were more of those figures, she was beyond confused. She walked around and took in every detail, opening her mouth to speak but nothing ever came out.

"Hey Stealth!" A voice yelled, she turned to see a purple figure landing next to her. "Are you ready to go?" The girl asked, Stealth Elf felt her mouth open itself.

"Yeah, whenever you are ready." She said, she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, that wasn't what she wanted to say. The two walked together until they reached a large two story house, entering it and being met with two other blurs. Stealth Elf stirred, looking around her to see the treehouse. She was confused, that dream felt so real... something urged her to find out more about it, but what could she do?