Chapter 8

I'm laying on the bed when Mal and Evie come in talking loudly.

"Oh Evie, what were you and prince-not-so-charming talking about?"

"Homework, school, phones, the wand at the coronation, mirrors, money, castles," She lists.

"Wait... the wand at coronation?" I ask.

"Yeah, I have nothing to wear of course," She starts talking about some outfit ideas.

A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts.

"We can come back to that," I tell Evie.

I walk to the door to find Ben standing there.

"Hey, I just came round to see if you... guys are okay and if you need anything," He starts saying to me then looks up to Mal and Evie.

"No, I don't think so..." I look to Mal and Evie shaking their heads. "Wait..." I say before he leaves. "Is it true we get to go to your coronation?"

"Yes of course, everyone in the kingdom is coming." He replies.

"Do you think I could sit up close to the front?" I ask flirtatiously.

"Sorry, up the front is just my parents and my girlfriend," He says nicely.

"Oh, it's okay, I just wanted to ask," I say smiling.

After Ben leaves I shut the door and Mal looks at me.

"Looks like it's time for Bennyboo to get a new girlfriend," She says smirking.

Three arguments later and I'm at my locker trying to think about when I should give Ben the cookie. Mal decided to make a batch of love potion cookies from her mum's spell book. I'm the one who must pretend to be in love with the King. GREAT.

I'm looking at my locker that I spray painted, I had done a mural to my mother and inside my locker was full of sketches of different people and things around Auradon.

"Those drawings are amazing, and the mural of your mother is so well done, maybe you could paint a picture for my parents? They want to get a family portrait, but can't find the right person to paint it," He asks.

"Um... I guess?" I reply questioning why I would be the best. He goes to leave so I decide to give him a cookie. "Um... I've decided to try baking and I was wondering if you would try one? I don't wanna look weak in front of Mal after our fallout," I ask.

"I don't normally eat before games but sure," He says.

He eats the cookie, but it doesn't look like anything happened, he has the same look in his eyes and is still smiling the same way.
"How is it?" I ask

"Great, thanks," he replies walking off to get ready.

He sounds the same too, what's going on? Did Mal muck up the recipe and our only chance to get the wand?

At the end of the very boring game Ben got up to make an announcement he said, "I would just like to ask a special girl a special question."

I noticed the Audrey didn't walk up, and she looked like she had been crying recently.

"Ellie, could you come up here?" He asks the crowd, and everyone starts staring at me.

I walk up to him wondering if the love potion had finally kicked in.

"Would you be my girlfriend?" He asks me, looking deeply into my eyes.

"Yes," I say trying to mask my smirk with a smile.

Okay so Mal didn't screw up, am I happy or not? On one hand we need the wand, on the other Mal failing would have been amusing. The question is why isn't the spell powerful? Maybe she did screw up at least a little.