10: three weeks after

CHAPTER 10- August 22nd, 2002
_____________

Gum wrappers, used candles and highlighted books were scattered all over Eleanor's house while she dragged herself to see who was knocking on her door. Her eyes were puffy and her clothes tattered, but she didn't care. She was too hurt to care. So, when she opened her door to find Michael, her coworker, at her front step with doughnuts and Thai take-out, she couldn't even smile. It hurt too much.

Michael slung an arm around her shoulder as she slowly broke down with each step she took to the kitchen. "I heard what happened from Leslie and I wanted to stop by and see how you're doing." Placing the food down and making her a plate, Michael watched the girl as she furrowed her eyebrows and shrugged.

"It's been three weeks and I still don't understand what's going on." She took little nibbles of her doughnut while he looked around the place, taking in the mess.

"I would say something but I'm sure you've heard it all at this point. Do you want to uh- talk about it?" They couldn't deny, it was awkward but it was nice.

"I know it was the right thing to do but I feel empty. I just wanted him to love me and-" her words turned into sobs and Michael walked over to her and hugged her. It was a violent ache in her chest that she couldn't ignore.

She just wanted it do end.

"Do you know why I came to New York, El?"

"Well, there's rumors that you killed someone and that you're on the run." Her voice was muffled as he held her to his chest. His low chuckle made his chest vibrate, making El feel more at home than Ashton ever did. The ache in her chest tightened. How dare she think such a thing? She pulled away from him and hesitantly sat on the stool. Her mind a mess with one part saying how much better Michael is and the other yelling horrible things about her.

"I came here to live."

"Live? No one ever lives," she whispered, shaking her messy head.

"Well, not exactly live but to feel something. Australia just got- well, boring so, I decided a new set of scenery would fix my mind. I was stuck back in Aus' but here, with you, I feel somewhat better."

"Stop."

"Eleanor, you've done nothing wrong," he tried to hug her again but she stood and backed away.

Facing the white wall, her hands tugged her hair while her mind washed over every sense like a tidal wave, leaving nothing.

"You don't know me and neither did Ashton and I'm a bad person and I killed her, I know I did. I fucking killed her, oh my god. How could I do that? I wasn't there! I killed my best friend. I fucking hate myself. Jesus Christ, I should die. I should die. Ashton..."

She dropped to the floor and yelled repeatidly the same things over and over while Michael stood frozen in his place.

She didn't crack, she fucking shattered.

-

Walking up to the third floor of the gigantic building wasn't hard, but walking up and seeing everyone look at you weirdly was. Ashton felt overly uncomfortable, he even looked to see if he had anything written on his head or if he wasn't wearing pants. He was fine but somehow- something- just drawed everyone's attention to him.

But Ashton didn't care, he was almost happy, even, with the job offer. It may not have been what he's dreamt of doing his whole life, that being famous and touring the world, but it was something. Something in his mind clicked and something someone said roamed through, at the tip of his tongue he mumbled to himself, "The world needs coffee girls." Stopping for a moment, he furrowed his eyebrows. The office room was just down this hall but he couldn't seem to move.

He remembered something he could hardly remember. Who said that? He stood there and kicked himself over it for a good two minutes until a young lady with brown hair came to his side. "You know," her strong American accent boomed, "you just walk in. Turn the knob, walk in without tripping and saying something dumb and bamn, you got the job as-" she took his application out of his hands and read it over, smiling to herself, "-intern. Funny, I imagined you as a coffee boy. But since we are short on interns and reading weird shit all day is suprisingly exhausting, I welcome you aboard, Ashton."

"Thanks...."

"Kai."

"Kai?"

"Kai. Short for Kailee but I hate the Kylie Jenner references so, I just stick with Kai. See you around, Ash."

He still couldn't figure out who said that damn sentence.

a/n: in case youre confused since a lot of you seem to always be. In this chapter Eleanor broke down, Michael (yes, Michael Clifftities) said that he'd stay with her, someone close to Eleanor died while she was too focused on Ashton and Ashton baby was applying for a job at the place El works. I like drama okay x-cuse u.

but ily guys and you guys are so sweet and funny and wow.