Chapter 11 - { Starless Night }

Taste the poison, drink it up.
Feel the slaughter, empty your cup.

Aside from the previous days strange feeling after what Whisperstar had said to her, Darkpaw had enjoyed the last day of the celebration. Last night kept on replaying in her mind, how quickly she had opened herself up and how today she felt light and like a small weight had been lifted off of her chest. True, the warrior code forbid the meetings of cats from different clans outside of gatherings but what was the harm? Great StarClan.. Darkpaw thought. Now I'm thinking like him.

She and Shadowpaw had spent some time together and given it was the last day pretty much everyone had come. Shadowpaw seemed the happiest he'd been in a long time and was thriving among the other apprentices. Everyone spoke fondly of him, even the grumpy NightClan cats adored the talkative BlazingClan tom. It made Darkpaw happy to see him overwhelmed with such love and happiness. It made her feel like maybe she didn't have to watch over him all the time.

Even better, Adderpaw had been able to come along today with a stubborn limp and holding up her head with an indignant pride. Darkpaw had smiled widely when the she-cat had approached, touching noses with the feline in a warm greeting and dipping her head to Roanpaw awkwardly.

Roanpaw had been increasingly more avoidant of Smallpaw and was starting to hover around with Darkpaw, Adderpaw and Sagepaw, as well as Sparrowpaw (who clung to Darkpaw like a lost kit). Everywhere everyone was smiling and enjoying the clear blue sky as well as the warm sunshine that rained down on all of them. Flowerstar had out done herself with his celebration. So, as everyone congregated at the bottom of the cliff and looked up at the four leaders with bright eyes, they were looking forward to many more moons of peace and good hunting.

"Our final day of our three day celebration has come to an end. I am so proud to announce that all of our clans worked collaboratively and kindly with one another, making friends and meeting cats they otherwise would not have known." Flowerstar mewed, the cats below a sea of smiles. "There will be many more days like these upon our not too distant future. The peace we have kept for so long is precious and beautiful. It makes me overjoyed to know that our children will grow in a prosperous world. May they never know the horrors of way or bloodshed."

Everyone cheered.

"You are now all free to go back to-" Flowerstar begun before she was cut off by Whisperstar.

"Before, you go. I have an important announcement to make." The NightClan leaders voice rang out clear as day. "NightClan and BreezeClan are disbanding, and will no longer be recognized as separate clans but a unified legion. Within our legion all cats are welcome to join free of the pain and grief StarClan has caused you, no matter how big or small."

Shock gripped the hearts of every cat except... had NightClan and BreezeClan knew this all along? Darkpaw looked at Sagepaw as the BreezeClan apprentice stared up at Whisperstar with admiration. Darkpaw swallowed the lump in her throat, looking back up at Whisperstar; Runningstar standing beside her. Sagepaw and every other NightClan and BreezeClan cat knew this was going to happen at the end of the celebration.

"Throughout NightClan's absence, we have been nursing the sick and starving that StarClan refused to help. Throughout our previous Leaf-Bare, we lost too many of our kits and elders to count, my own mother and kits among them." Whisperstar mewed with a calm and sorrowful tone. "Warrenbriar visited the Star Stone countless times, begging StarClan for a sign to give reason to our suffering but they remained silent and only sent more snow and less prey. They have always taken from us and hurt us, speaking in riddles and refusing to give a clear answer to our hardships. They continue to take credit for our work. It is us who have kept the peace these past moons, not StarClan. It is us who catches our prey and not StarClan who brings it to us. It is the earth that brings life to our prey, not StarClan. It is us who keeps our clanmates and loved ones happy, healthy and strong. So with that being said, if you are begging StarClan for answers or aid, know they will never give it to you. But that The Legion is a sanctuary and a haven for those who need it. We are kin. And we will never abandon you as StarClan has and will continue to do. All those that wish to come with The Legion, may come with us now." Whisperstar echoed. They had been faithless for moons. How had they been able to keep their morale while faithless? How had they not scattered and broken into rogue groups and loners?