Chapter 26 - { Rising Suspicions }

I see you in the dark, pretending not to see me.

The day was a fleeting blur to Darkpaw by the time she noticed that the sun was setting. She had spent the morning with Whisperstar in combat training. She had learned many new moves and techniques that would become useful in the future if she needed to fight her way out of a tricky situation. Whisperstar was quick and merciless in combat, she was ruthless and used her surroundings to her advantage whenever it suited her. Then, Whisperstar briefly went over the ranks and rules within The Rogues, introducing her to some of their customs so that she was prepared for speaking to Lazarus tomorrow. And then the most anxiety inducing information was thrown at her feet.

Whisperstar and Lazarus saw fit that tonight, in their new camp whilst everyone was feasting, that Darkpaw be the one to give the welcome speech that brings everyone together. Figuring out what to say would be tricky, but she figured so long as it was sharp and short, she could do it.

Padding alongside Whisperstar as they made their way to their new camp, she glanced over her shoulder at the setting sun. It's bright amber light washed her face in gold before she turned backwards into shadow, following Whisperstar's pawsteps. Following the leader she saw a small cave entrance up ahead. Her ears pricked with interest. There was no one seated at the entrance as the two felines padded inside, and for a few fleeting moments they wandered in complete darkness.

Suddenly, a bright light broke through the shadows at the end of the tunnel. Walking forwards into it, Darkpaw found herself standing on a wide ridge, staring down into a chasm. A flood of light streamed down from a massive, gaping hole in the roof and in the middle of the light was a massive rock that towered above everything. From the hole in the jagged roof streamed in water. Lush greenery clung to the fringes of the cliffs and the wide ridges had been worn and along their paths were the grooves of many paw-prints before them. Staring down she could see cats sitting and socializing, the same visual appearing when she looked up. Following Whisperstar, she clung close to the wall of the cavern, her pale amber green eyes wide with amazement. It was an excellent place for a camp. Not only was it big enough to house all the cats that were now among them but it was so easy to defend and near impossible to attack. The ridges were wide enough for two cats to walk side by side comfortably but no where near big enough for a proper fight. It was good, but dangerous and defensive. Darkpaw suspected that's what Whisperstar and Lazarus wanted.

Everywhere Darkpaw turned her gaze she saw a set of four rugged and scarred rogues, sitting watchfully with narrowed eyes, looking out across everything and observing carefully. Not only was this place easy to defend but it was impossible to get out of without someone noticing. How many guards were there? The tortoiseshell she-cat kept close to the ebony leader as she led the way upwards towards the giant rock that stood tall and proud in the middle. The guards that they passed politely dipped their heads before keeping their narrowed gazes on them. Darkpaw looked over her shoulder at the sheer drop below. It was steep and the fall would kill any cat instantly upon impact. She fought the sickening feeling in her belly as she cast her gaze away, bounding up a small rock pile towards the top. Whisperstar led her forwards into a small tunnel that split off in three directions.

"Directly ahead is your den, to the left is mine, and to the right is Lazarus'. You're growing up my dear, soon you will be given your full name and announced fully as the next leader of The Legion. You are now allowed your own private den." The black feline mewed, her form no more than a pair of illuminated emerald eyes amid the shadowy cave. "Come now, it is time to commence the feast." The black she-cat mewed before turning swiftly and leading the way back through to the boulder.