Five

"As usual," he said, tapping his fingers on the desk

"As usual," he said, tapping his fingers on the desk. "Winslow forgets her assignment,"

"Sir, I-"

"You do not owe me an explanation. I'm not willing to hear you out," he said, grimly and looked up at the class. "Take your books out,"

I sat down, wondering if I should apologize or just sit and hold in tight.

"Anyone else, who has the audacity to show up here without their completed assignments?" Mr. Decarlo looked at the class, raising an eyebrow.

The class fell silent. Dead silent. Mr. Decarlo scanned our faces. Every single one. After moving his eyes from one to another continuously, he stopped at Simon.
"Simon, my boy!" he said.

Simon, who was slouching lazily, shot up straight.

Walking upto him, Mr. Decarlo slammed his hand on Simon's back, and wrapped his fingers around the back of his neck.
"So are we all done with the project, boy?"

"Sir, I-," He stammered.

"You what?"

"I couldn't complete it, sir,"

He sighed. "Get up, kid,"

He stood up, his head tilted downwards.

"Spill it," Mr. Decarlo demanded.

"Sir, my..." Simon muttered. "My dog died..."

Psht! 'Dog died?' What kinda lame excuse is that!? He's gonna get skinned alive! He should've made up a better excuse, I mean like, come on!

Simon continued to stutter, "...and I couldn't-,"

"Sit down," Mr. Decarlo cut him off.

"Huh?" Simon looked up, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I said 'sit down!'," Mr. Decarlo said, sternly.

"Yes sir!" He said and crashed into his chair.

What!? That's it!? That's all he's going to do!? EXCUSE HIM!?

"Dude! That wasn't a very good excuse, was it?" I whispered to Leah.

"AHEM!"

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath.

"Some people actually have fair excuses for their mistakes, while some just didn't bother because going to the movies was a lot more important," he said, his grey eyes piercing into me.

My eyes widened and I took a deep breath, preparing for the worst.

"If it's going to be like this, don't bother coming here, Winslow," he said, venomously.