Promises

White was the color worn by the untainted and the desired. If that was true, then the room right now was filled with the desired as hundreds, maybe even thousands of omegas sat, stood and even lay around in the color of the pure. Years of living and sharing around with no less than ten of his own kind, Ash knew how truly noisy omegas could be when getting ready for an event. Laughs, shouts, arguments and sometimes even fights could break out over something as simple as a missing eye curler.

The thing called nerves was scary. But not even nervousness could break the deadly silence that always seems to fill the prep room minutes before the ceremony of the goddess lumenesia. In a few, they would put on display, before the thousand, if not millions and wait to be paired with a mate. It could be someone they've met and go to know over the month-long stay in the capital. It could be someone they've overlooked. Someone unexpected and unknown. Or they could be left on that podium until the final second of the Goddess's grace and made to step down, alone.

Tears, laughter, shouts and petty fights were too small to shed the weight of this level of nervous helplessness. Instead they could only drown in almost complete silence, deep breath and the sound of turn stomach creating a twisted sort of melody.

"Everyone" Helen's voice was like a flash of lightning across a dark moonless sky. "I know it's terrifying what you are about to do. I've been there" She paused and with both hands gestured to the caretakers and protectors that stood at her side. "We all have. No One knows what's it's like to be omegas better than the people in this room. However, no one knows what it's like to be you other than you."She took a deep breath and eyed the mass of omegas that had mostly clustered together at the start of her speech.

"As teachers and mortals, we are forced to recognize that our actions towards you may not always be correct. As you live on and met with your destined we selfishly ask that you cast away our shortcomings. And instead, cherish the lessons we shared, the words of wisdom and confront" "Please keep our teaching in your hearts without forgetting to trust in yourself and in your own ability" At those words the caretakers, the protectors. Those that clothed, confronted feed, taught and punished the omegas into the people they came to be, the people they are today bowed their heads.

"Please live well and know that we'll continue to support you to the best of our abilities" They voiced in a sort of un-united union. Some shouting in loud voices, some barely able to form their words through fumbles and swallowed sobs. But most did it with a firm voice full of confidence and pride, all while wiping at their sudden stream of tears.

For the first time since he first participates at the calling of the goddess, Ash witness the tension in the air disperse as if it was never there. Suddenly, people were talking, some voicing their own nervousness while other cried through their insecurities with laughter. Soon, the bell of the grand church sung, silencing the room once again, but only for a moment as the caretakers spun into action, ushering all their students into place.

"Come on!" "Hurry, hurry it's almost starting!" "everyone in place" They yelled in a loud blur. Leading omegas after omegas into place. 

Ash, though less nervous after Helen's speech, couldn't find it in himself to stand from his seat. His legs simply felt too weak the carry him.

"Sasha" He turned to his giving name, a blurring vision of his larger than average caretaker appearing in his sights. Silently she lowered herself before him and his gaze followed her hands as they reach to wipe his cheeks dry. As the crowd around the thinned out, she busied herself, straighten the ends of the pure white ceremonial gown he wore. She dusted the invisible specks from the fabric and picked at strands of hair that were left on his shoulders. At one point, she'd gotten to her feet, loosen and recumbed his hair into a braided bun. Then, she was hugging him from behind her embrace was so tight it was painful. It was also warm.